Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
SOOO sorry to have dropped out here. I'm three weeks away from retiring from 38 yrs on my day job! A bit busy

Ok, the F# problem... We sight read 28 tunes that night, so I don't remember the exact song! I do remember it was in the B/bridge section, so it had deviated a bit from the original key signature. It also was a run of eight notes at a fairly quick pace (north of 200 bpm)

It wasn't as awful as it my seem. We all realize with jazz phrasing in eighth note runs, not all notes have the same value or emphasis. In other words we shade or shadow some notes.... the missed F# was one of the "implied" notes rather than a teeth jarring bad note.

It was a fairly full house. No one was dropping their wine glasses or walking out....

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
You want to gain facility in the key of F#?

Play tenor in a rock band for a few years. Also good for the key of B. Then add baritone and become proficient in C#.

Frankly, I find the keys with a bunch of flats harder to sightread than the ones with lots of sharps.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You want to gain facility in the key of F#?

Play tenor in a rock band for a few years. Also good for the key of B. Then add baritone and become proficient in C#.

Frankly, I find the keys with a bunch of flats harder to sightread than the ones with lots of sharps.
+1

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,788 Posts
I'm not sure the OP is talking about playing in the (horn) key of F#; based on his last post above, he seems to be saying he missed the note F# in the middle of a fast run and that the note was meant to be 'ghosted' anyway, so it didn't really matter. What's amazing about the story to me is that the guitarist picked up on it!

Or, 'because,' do I have this wrong?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
So far I think it's that since they were sight reading the accidental F# was throwing them off. The key may have modulated for a bit or the section of the song had chords that had F# in it and they weren't able to pick up on it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm not sure the OP is talking about playing in the (horn) key of F#; based on his last post above, he seems to be saying he missed the note F# in the middle of a fast run and that the note was meant to be 'ghosted' anyway, so it didn't really matter. What's amazing about the story to me is that the guitarist picked up on it!

Exactly

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Personally, it's not missing the altissimo F# three times that would bother me too much...

It's hitting the F# three times, completely unintentionally, that I dread the most...

And have the greatest probability of doing...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,788 Posts
Personally, it's not missing the altissimo F# three times that would bother me too much..
Once again, there was no mention of missing an altissimo note. Read what I said (post #25), which was confirmed by 'because' where he quoted me (even though it wasn't placed in a quote box), then wrote 'exactly.'

We all got off track here, talking about playing in the key of F# or not hitting altissimo F# (which I originally thought), when neither of those issues were the topic. It's mostly about the 'big ears' of the guitarist.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts