Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few months I've had a steady duo gig at a nice Steakhouse on Thursday nights. It's myself & a wonderful acoustic guitar player, who owns his own small engineering company & makes his own guitars. The guitar guy has a huge music library in his head & always draws something new & good out of me. I've mentioned to him in the past that sight reading is always something I need to make more progress on... so.... last night we toss our set list, pull out the Real Books & sight read the entire night!

Many of these tunes I not only had never played, but had never heard!!!! It was great fun & the audience caught on to our game & loved it!

As we were packing up, I was asking him for honest input into my night. His reply: "Your best moment was when you said 'I had three chances to hit the F# & missed it every time'"

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
I just usually use LH 123 RH 2, sometimes I even add the octave key to play the one on the top line
But you can also just play F and add the little trill key thing with your RH 3rd finger or whatever may be available to you at the time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Did you play the Foreigner song "Urgent"? Junior Walker plays the signature riff/solo up to the F# above the one that Mark 6 don`t have a key for.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Special thanks to SOTW member Nefertiti, I have some of his method books. Not only have they driven the ii v i progression into my head, the by product of practicing them in all 12 keys is I now just blow through accidentals in sight reading!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just usually use LH 123 RH 2, sometimes I even add the octave key to play the one on the top line
Amazing, I’ll have to try that sometime! So you’re saying that the key that gets in the way of my left thumb rest will change octaves? Dave, you’re smarter even than the chosen one!😂

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
It happens. Just another reason to practice more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,209 Posts
No luv for the F#, eh?

Gonna play everything in F# today.
That'll show you heathens.
That's a great workout..I remember taking like 20 standard and playing them in F# one day (and subsequent keys in subsequent days). It definitely helps to normalize those odd keys!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,229 Posts
That's a great workout..I remember taking like 20 standard and playing them in F# one day (and subsequent keys in subsequent days). It definitely helps to normalize those odd keys!
It does. C# and F# especially. Not kidding. All F#, ALL DAY.

By the end of the, playing in C will be foreign...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
If you can't F# you'll Bb...
Good one, skeller!

But I'm a bit confused about which F# is being discussed. Missing it three times suggests it's altissimo F#? If so, here's a fingering that should help to hit it squarely every time:

(octave key), XOX/XOO +pinky Eb key

If not altissimo, I don't see how you can miss the ones in the normal range. Or am I missing something here??

p.s. Nothing wrong with playing in the key of E (F# on tenor), but that's entirely different from missing the note F#....

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
And when you are playing with guitar players who call tunes in E, you got it, F# for we tenor players. (C# for the alto guys?)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts