Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to get an alto and I'm wondering what you guys think of the new YAS-875EX Custom Series pro line. I'm going to be able to test one out and I have no idea what to expect, I'm kind of nervous. If you could give me some thoughts that would be great!

Thanks for helpin,

K3N

·
Registered
494 Posts
I bought a gold plated one couple months ago and I absolutely love it! Try as many as you can and try different necks combinations. the V1 neck is very good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of years. Great ergos, solid intonation. Tone is pretty neutral, maybe leaning on the brighter side and it has a very clear sound. It's an awesome horn.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Why would you be nervous about trying out a sax? It's not going to go back to the sorority house and tell all the others how you did.

The 875 EX is an exceptional sax.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow this really sounds like a good horn -- I can't wait to try it out at the shop!

How would you guys compare it to a Selmer Mark VII?

My saxophone instructor recently retired and is having his M7 refurbished to sell, and he might be selling to me. (I've been playin on that horn for about a year).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The altos and sopranos are especially sweet, with great tuning and a nice homogenous tone. Flexible for any genre too. I didn't jive as much with the tenor version, I found it boring. All of them had outstanding keywork, probably the best in the industry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is an 875ex for sale at Saxquest. It is used and is just about $2000.00. Is it worth it? I play a mixture of classical and jazz. I am worried about buying an 875 because a lot of people say it's a classical horn. I like the sound and feel of the 875 horns. It does lack the fullness of a Selmer though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
From all of my experience, the EX will work for jazz. The horn is nice and heavy and gives a dark tone. With the stock mouthpiece, (similar to a C* but more open internally) It provides a very palatable and flexible sound in regards to tone and pitch. It is very easy to play as you. For 2000$, it is a very good deal provided that the horn works. Mine was also around that price, it was an old store demo model. Be cautious but this deal sounds like you could walk away with a great horn. Be sure to do your research.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
It's definitely on the darker side of the spectrum. It's also far more "stable" (tone/control-wise, tough to explain) than most other horns I've tried... So it's not hard to tell why most people would consider it more of a classical horn. Overall though it is pretty versatile, you won't be sorry if you buy one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts