Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on Super Action 80 Series II Alto?

What are thoughts on the Super Action 80 Series II Alto? I played it once and it was crazily sharp. What can I do to help fix that? I play on a Vandoren V16 S+ A7 mouthpiece with a Vandoren Optimum ligature, if you're wondering. I suppose pulling the mouthpiece further out would do the trick.

Thanks! :)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you asked and answered your own question in the same post..............why post at all??
I was wondering if there was something else outside of that that I could've changed in order for it to play more in tune.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Tune it.

The Serie II alto is among the best.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
IMO, the best alto ever made by Selmer. I know, it is my opinion. But I love them.

·
32,949 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Super Action 80 Series II Alto?

What are thoughts on the Super Action 80 Series II Alto? I played it once and it was crazily sharp. What can I do to help fix that? I play on a Vandoren V16 S+ A7 mouthpiece with a Vandoren Optimum ligature, if you're wondering. I suppose pulling the mouthpiece further out would do the trick.

Thanks! :)
Just to be sure... What do you mean by “... it was crazy sharp”? Do you mean the whole horn (all notes) were crazy sharp?

By how much?

To what reference?

How did you tune the horn to start?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just to be sure... What do you mean by “... it was crazy sharp”? Do you mean the whole horn (all notes) were crazy sharp?

By how much?

To what reference?

How did you tune the horn to start?
I played a B (w/ one ledger line) and at first, it didn’t sound like a B. My music had multiple B’s and the same intonation problem kept happening, so I knew something was wrong. All I did was pull out my mouthpiece a bit from the cork and that made a good improvement.

·
32,949 Posts

I played a B (w/ one ledger line) and at first, it didn’t sound like a B. My music had multiple B’s and the same intonation problem kept happening, so I knew something was wrong. All I did was pull out my mouthpiece a bit from the cork and that made a good improvement.
So why was the mouthpiece located in the wrong place to start? Why did you assume it was correct?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So why was the mouthpiece located in the wrong place to start? Why did you assume it was correct?
I forgot to mention that I tuned with my tuner along side with my ear. I honestly didn’t have much time to tune and it sounded in tune according to the tuner, but it just didn’t feel right. Before I knew it, it was time for me to start playing without having much time to tune.

·
32,949 Posts

I forgot to mention that I tuned with my tuner along side with my ear. I honestly didn’t have much time to tune and it sounded in tune according to the tuner, but it just didn’t feel right. Before I knew it, it was time for me to start playing without having much time to tune.
Good for you that you were listening. Next time, take the time to tune before you commit to playing. And consider learning enough about your horn to determine the best tuning note. You will find that some notes are sharp, others flat - tuning is a compromise, with ultimate intonation up to you to compensate.

If you are always using the same mouthpiece/horn, consider marking the cork for reference (and reserve the right to change incrementally as necessary).

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Good for you that you were listening. Next time, take the time to tune before you commit to playing. And consider learning enough about your horn to determine the best tuning note. You will find that some notes are sharp, others flat - tuning is a compromise, with ultimate intonation up to you to compensate.

If you are always using the same mouthpiece/horn, consider marking the cork for reference (and reserve the right to change incrementally as necessary).
Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts