Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has any opinions on the Pyne barrels. I have one, and it plays great but I am suspect of the material--does not seem perhaps to have as much presence as wood...I have a feeling it would not project as well in a large room...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,376 Posts
ving said:
I am curious if anyone has any opinions on the Pyne barrels. I have one, and it plays great but I am suspect of the material--does not seem perhaps to have as much presence as wood...I have a feeling it would not project as well in a large room...
Don´t blame the material, it is all about the shape of the inside bore. Wood with the same profile would sound the same.

Toby

·
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,376 Posts
Are you sure that the inside dimensions are exactly the same? If you are interested, go read the threads in the tech forum about materials--scientific evidence is very strong that materials don't make a perceptible difference in sound, despite manufacturers' marketing claims.

Toby

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apppreciate the info--actually its good, I should just play it and not care what the material is. Maybe the feedback when you are playing it is the difference I sense, and not the sound. Anyhow, I like it so I am over it being plastic...!

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
kymarto said:
Are you sure that the inside dimensions are exactly the same? If you are interested, go read the threads in the tech forum about materials--scientific evidence is very strong that materials don't make a perceptible difference in sound, despite manufacturers' marketing claims.

Toby
there's two sides to that camp

ever hear a cement violin lately ?

·
14,665 Posts
stevesklar said:
there's two sides to that camp

ever hear a cement violin lately ?
Different design, where material does matter. Resonance of the wood is key in stringed instruments. Look at muting a stringed instruments and graduating of the plates. All about mass and vibrations.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I used both this pyne barrel and my Moenning today in a rehearsal, and although the Pyne is really free blowing, it lacked the ring or presence of the Moenning. Different bores, and materials--whatever the case, its back to wood for me...

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
Carl H. said:
Different design, where material does matter. Resonance of the wood is key in stringed instruments. Look at muting a stringed instruments and graduating of the plates. All about mass and vibrations.
I was joking .. couldn't think of anything else looking at this cello of mine wondering how it works .. what's a bow for ??

ahh .. but back to barrels. I tried a Backun barrel. I'm not much into swapping around equipment but i can see what ppl get GAS for all this stuff. Different materials etc all but the inside bore design makes all the difference in the world as it has to fit the volume and other internal dimensions

maybe try one of his bells too next

1 - 9 of 9 Posts