Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard the WWBW laser trim ones are quite free-blowing and similar to Brecker's actual one, but those are harder to find these days, what do you guys think about the PMS German made ones or the other ones out there (Borb Oliver, Sakshama's, RetroRevival, WWBW's, etc.)? I want more of a focused sound with projection and still being freeblowing, so I assume the WWBW is the best bet, but what is the general consensus?

Josh

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
The WWBW LTs are good but not great facings IMO. They are consistent and I find the same resistance hump in the facing on nearly all of them. The curve is a bit to flat near the tip too. They can be improved for easirper low note and altissimo response.

I have seen a few of all the others. They all vary some but so did the original handmade DGs. I think the WWBW LTs may be the most consistent since they were CNC made with no hand finishing. But they are getting worn now so used ones will vary too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The WWBW LTs are good but not great facings IMO. They are consistent and I find the same resistance hump in the facing on nearly all of them. The curve is a bit to flat near the tip too. They can be improved for easirper low note and altissimo response.

I have seen a few of all the others. They all vary some but so did the original handmade DGs. I think the WWBW LTs may be the most consistent since they were CNC made with no hand finishing. But they are getting worn now so used ones will vary too.
So would it just be better to get a guy like Sakshama to custom make one?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Depends on the price and how it plays for you. I used to set up new LT’s for $70+s/h. Like 1/2 a reface. Figure that into the cost and compare it to a new Sakshama. His stuff is usually pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts