Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I want to try different reed brands and saw that Hemke was a pretty popular one so I'd like to get some opinions on those. I play alto. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,561 Posts
I used to use them quite a bit on Baritone and still do at times.
For me they are a slightly darker playing reed without the stiffness of other darker type reeds.
In some ways similar to Rico Royals I find.
I mainly used them to tone down a higher baffled piece I was using at that time.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,542 Posts
They're all I use on alto and tenor. I've tried other brands/cuts but always go back to Hemke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always use them on soprano, and sometimes on alto. They're darkish-sounding, long-lasting, and respond consistently at any dynamic.

For me, crafting a characteristic legit/classical saxophone sound is super easy with Hemke.

Imagine a La Voz-inspired vamp applied to a Rico Royal filed blank.

They are absolutely intolerant of inadequate air support, making them a poor choice for beginners.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I used to use them quite a bit on Baritone and still do at times.
For me they are a slightly darker playing reed without the stiffness of other darker type reeds.
In some ways similar to Rico Royals I find.
I mainly used them to tone down a higher baffled piece I was using at that time.
Like B Flat I also find the sound with Hemkes to be darker in contrast to Vandoren V16s and ZZs.
For me I also find Hemkes to sound darker than Rico Royals.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
if I am going to use cane Hemkes are the ones I like, use them both on alto and tenor, I go back and forth between these and Legere synthitics

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
A Rico by this other name would sound as sweet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've found them much more consistent from reed to reed than RJS or Vandorens. While there's still some I wouldn't use as a performance reed, I don't think I've ever had a flat-out BAD reed from a box of Hemkes. Everything has been at least playable as a practice reed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've found them much more consistent from reed to reed than RJS or Vandorens. While there's still some I wouldn't use as a performance reed, I don't think I've ever had a flat-out BAD reed from a box of Hemkes. Everything has been at least playable as a practice reed.
Agreed, especially on soprano sax!

Once in a while, a mediocre Hemke for alto comes along. They get thrown into my fishing tackle box full of duds. Sooner or later, the effects of aging turn almost all of the duds into decent reeds.

Incidentally, this seems to work with all of the D'Addario-sourced reeds; not so much with Vandoren or Gonzalez.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hemke 3 reeds are my favorite Soprano reeds. I also play Vandoren Blue, Java Red, and Rico's on Soprano but I've had the easiest time with Hemke for some reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts