Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For context: I'm a first time player and buyer but have been playing clarinet for ages. I know what I'd like out of a good wind instrument (corks and pads that hold up, not leaky, sensibly placed keys) and I know what sound I'd like (rich, warm, not tinny). I have a good lung capacity but I don't want to wear myself out unnecessarily.

I'm looking for something used under $500. The brands/ models that I have my eye on are the Jean Paul AS-400, Jupiter 767/ 667/ 679, Selmer AS-500/ 600, Yamaha YAS-23/ 200AD; the Jean Pauls and Jupiters being the frontrunners of the moment. I've looked up reviews for all of these (I think?) and from my cursory assessment they all appear to be decent enough for my purposes, that being playing prog sax parts songs alone in my room, likely never in a group or for a formal audience or anything, but I'd like to know your opinions particularly when they're stacked up against one another as those seem to be the better options of what's available. Additionally if there are any brands in particular that I should avoid that I have/ haven't listed, if you might recommend anything within my price range that I haven't listed, etc.

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I can't compare them for you, but just take note that Jean Paul, although endorsed by many on the net and youtubers making reviews, it still hasn't stood the test of time, while the others have. Yamaha is the workhorse, reliable and available everywhere, also Jupiter is a fine brand with fine instruments, I have one soprano of them.

Then you'll probably buy a new Jean Paul vs used the other brands, so there is that. I personally don't mind used, none of my instruments were new, but I understand the appeal. I would reckon that the new Jean Paul will lose value very quickly, as soon as it gets out of the shop or delivered in your home, while the others will maintain value. Bang for buck, I would say Jupiter, but I haven't tried a Jean Paul or one of those Selmers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,404 Posts
I’d consider either the Jupiter or Keilwerth ST90 series over the others mentioned.
I’ve never been impressed with the Yamaha student alto models and could not understand why everyone recommends them.
The Jupiter and Keilwerth ST90 altos are incredible value for the money on the used market.
Both in build quality and tone I feel they are superior to the Yamahas.

·
Registered
YAS-875EX, YTS-61, YBS-52, YFL-677, YCL-SEVR
41 Posts
Coming from a place of bias, I'll always recommend a Yamaha for someone just starting out. They're dependable, every shop can fix them and they have a lot of years of building a reputation for a solid instrument.

I don't personally like Jupiter instruments myself, but they are a LOT cheaper. If money is a problem, get yourself a student level Jupiter and you'll be fine as a beginner.

Selmer student model instruments are... okay. If you get like an AS400 you'll be fine. The AS600 is significantly better built though, as stated above.

Stay away from Jean Paul, Mendini, Glory, Eastar and the like. You'll be able to play them for a few months and then will have constant adjustment issues that will never get fixed (to no fault of any repair tech you take it to.) Just stick with one of the other brands mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: saxplay

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,653 Posts
IMHO Yamaha 23's get over-recommended nowadays. I know I might take flak for this, but the fact is...yeah...that model and their similar iterations (21, 25,26, 275, etc) had the market cornered for almost a generation...but it isn't hard to fathom that some major competitors eventually caught up and have surpassed the 23 (Yama never really did much to 'improve' it in all those years....they had a cash cow so why change anything ?)

I will agree with @kreacher - at this point, Jean Paul has good press going...IMHO a fair number of online 'reviews' which to me, do not exactly seem objective. So the only way to truly assess them is to have your good tech put it on their bench and take it apart.
And I'd prefer the tech to NOT have a big internet presence actually....I'd trust it more.
So they may be good, but maybe once their track record gets longer...not so good. The sax highway, as well as this Forum, is littered with inexpensive asian horn models which got glowing reviews out of the gate but which, within a few years or even less, had completely gone off the familiarity screen...

Jupiter - YES. Which Jupiter ? Are you buying used ? Because a 687 or 787 or those iterations...then their Carnegie or Capital Editions, too....those are/were their 'intermediate models'...from around '99-present...and those are better instruments that the YAS 23.
Just look for a model which has the prefix JAS, as opposed to SAS (the latter being their earlier models which were still playing catch-up).
Their build is equally reliable, their keywork is significantly slicker, and their tone is at least as good (I would say a tad better).
So those would be a nice choice.

Selmer AS600....a horn which gets zero mention, the Conn-Selmer or Selmer USA's. I have never had one on my bench, so will refrain from saying yay or nay. All I can suggest is, as the company has been around and is a biggie, quality control at its subcontracted asian plants would probably be respectable.

Keilwerth ST90 was mentioned and I concur....if you can find one of these they are also superior to the 23. It is noted over at cafesaxophone that the ROC-made ST90's (the ones we see most, and confirmed to have been made at Jupiter) and the Evette-Buffets (now discontinued) seem to be the same horns. I've refurbed a couple of the latter, and a half dozen of the former - I cannot say with certainty as that conversation started a while after I had either in the shop...but it's a theory with some merit. I found the Buffet-Evette ROC's to be a respectable horn.

Last one I'd think of is the Buffet 100...these show up FS, used fairly often. A very nice horn, and their market values tend to be in the $500-ish area.

...best of luck in your search...

36 Posts
Go for the Yamaha. The 23 is one of the best saxes ever produced and you can find quality instruments under your budget. The repair techs here love them because they are easy and consistent to work on. Keilwerth makes a good instrument, but they don't hold up as well as Yamaha. Selmer's are... ok. but they still don't hold up to a well-made Yamaha.

Reactions: FreeJazzFanatic

·
Registered
Keilwerth SX90R Tenor, Selmer MVII Alto, Yamaha Flute, Fender American Tele
180 Posts
Go for the Yamaha. The 23 is one of the best saxes ever produced and you can find quality instruments under your budget. The repair techs here love them because they are easy and consistent to work on. Keilwerth makes a good instrument, but they don't hold up as well as Yamaha. Selmer's are... ok. but they still don't hold up to a well-made Yamaha.
You'll always be able to trade in or resell the Yamaha when it's time. With exception to the Keilwerth and Jupiter of which I am a fan, the other brands will depreciate to near nothing.

·
Registered
YAS-62 Series 1
30 Posts
As a minor counterpoint, if your goal is to have an alto sax around, and if you wanted to step out of the mainstream a bit, then you could do worse than have a chat with George over at 2ndending to see what he has on offer. The advantage, as I see it, is that you get a second-hand instrument that has been worked up by a professional for the same kind of money you'd pay for an eBay unknown. There are other similar dealers but I've dealt with George and he's the real deal. YMMV...

Saxes - 2ndEnding.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much for your thoughts (but anyone stumbling across this hereafter do not hesitate to reply as well, I can use all the input I can get)! So now it's looking like Keilwerth, Jupiter, or Yamaha. I am leaning towards the Keilwerth or Jupiter at the moment simply because it doesn't seem like the Yamaha 23 comes in an all gold lacquer, so while it may be the most readily available and potentially "best" fit for me, having a sax with a gold body and nickel keys would irk me deep down just as a personal preference- though that's not to say I have ruled it out. @mark5009 thank you for the recommendation- that seems particularly promising!

·
Registered
149 Posts
For context: I'm a first time player and buyer but have been playing clarinet for ages. I know what I'd like out of a good wind instrument (corks and pads that hold up, not leaky, sensibly placed keys) and I know what sound I'd like (rich, warm, not tinny). I have a good lung capacity but I don't want to wear myself out unnecessarily.

I'm looking for something used under $500. The brands/ models that I have my eye on are the Jean Paul AS-400, Jupiter 767/ 667/ 679, Selmer AS-500/ 600, Yamaha YAS-23/ 200AD; the Jean Pauls and Jupiters being the frontrunners of the moment. I've looked up reviews for all of these (I think?) and from my cursory assessment they all appear to be decent enough for my purposes, that being playing prog sax parts songs alone in my room, likely never in a group or for a formal audience or anything, but I'd like to know your opinions particularly when they're stacked up against one another as those seem to be the better options of what's available. Additionally if there are any brands in particular that I should avoid that I have/ haven't listed, if you might recommend anything within my price range that I haven't listed, etc.

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Loyal to Selmer.

·
Registered
Keilwerth SX90R Tenor, Selmer MVII Alto, Yamaha Flute, Fender American Tele
180 Posts
Thank you all so much for your thoughts (but anyone stumbling across this hereafter do not hesitate to reply as well, I can use all the input I can get)! So now it's looking like Keilwerth, Jupiter, or Yamaha. I am leaning towards the Keilwerth or Jupiter at the moment simply because it doesn't seem like the Yamaha 23 comes in an all gold lacquer, so while it may be the most readily available and potentially "best" fit for me, having a sax with a gold body and nickel keys would irk me deep down just as a personal preference- though that's not to say I have ruled it out. @mark5009 thank you for the recommendation- that seems particularly promising!
Keilwerth's are awesome horns and they have a great history. Branford Marsalis played a Keilwerth Alto in the 90's. To me, they are darker sounding horns and so they have a great Cannonball Adderley vibe. Good luck! Practice lots!

·
Registered
Conn New Wonder 1 Alto & Conn 10M Tenor
208 Posts
Heard some good things on the forum and locally about Jupiter.

Even though the student Yamahas are made in China they still seem fairly well made. I started to get my nephew a new Jean Paul saxophone but found a lot of negative and positive reviews which I interpreted as quality control issues. So I got him an used Yamaha (China made) instead. I tried it before I bought it and thought it played well and was we'll built.

For student instruments, Yamaha is still a safe bet IMO. The rest, I haven't looked up anything on them.

·
Premium Member
Selmer MK VI, Selmer SA80 II Silver-plate Alto, Selmer SA80 II Silver-Plated Tenor, Yani Soprano SC
29 Posts
Recommend the Yamaha YAS-280 - this has come a long way since the YAS-23. There has been heaps of upgrades on it. They are all gold lacquered. Made in Indonesia with Japanese QC.

The Jupiter Artists series is a very good instrument - had at least four of them across my bench. They will last for decades. Made in Taiwan, not China.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts