Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very sad but funny magical moment yesterday.

I got in my next order of mouthpieces to send out, and I played through everything. I saved the Showtime 6 tenor for the last piece that I would try because that’s my favorite tip opening, and that’s the model I love to use. I couldn’t wait to get to it and finally the moment happened.

I haven’t had a 6 tip from my new craftsman in the Showtime, so I was jonesing to play this!
So I put it on expecting that it will be great and I will just pack it up and get everything out to the post office.

Well, from the first note on it was completely MAGICAL for me. I know you all know what that feeling is like when you have that moment where the mouthpiece you put on is just beyond anything you’ve had. It is the BEST feeling and I should tell you that I’ve been very happy with the six star that I have had here.

The new 6 was just completely magical and I played it for an hour and a half, and just couldn’t get over it. I called up the client who ordered it here at SOTW, and told him how crazy great it was.

(Of course, I can get another one in that tip size but this was just the most perfect fit of anything I’ve played in my entire life).

I mean that sincerely, and that’s 35 years of doing this. For some reason, the new facing curve and work that my guy did on this model and tip opening is just perfection for me.
The sound is huge and open and warm with punch and such incredible body. Honestly in 35 years, I’ve never played a better mouthpiece, and I have played a few.

It was a funny moment because I play through all of my mouthpieces, but this new guy is doing incredible work, and I hadn’t had this experience yet with this tip and model. The sad moment was realizing right after I tried it for 10 seconds, that I would have to send it out. My wife was upstairs and heard me playing and asked me why I kept stopping and saying sh*t!!!!!
I told her how much I loved this piece..... BUT IT ISN'T MINE.
She laughed and said you can always get another.

I know that’s true and it will end up exactly like this, but this was one of those magical moments that none of us forget, when we have them. I ended up playing the mouthpiece for two more hours and decided I wouldn’t get to the post office till today....just so I could play it for another hour this morning.

Share your stories of your “magical moments” with horns, reeds, necks, or mouthpieces....

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You laugh, but he bought a 6 and a 6*, and I offered to send him his money back for the 6 because I loved it so much.
The 6* was great, but I love the smaller tip.

Unfortunately, it just got him more excited to play both.....

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I've had a couple of these moments:

First one was probably when I played the Lamberson Fmaj7 alto piece 14 or so years ago. Blew me away. Truly a magic moment on alto for me. Changed my concept on what I look for in an alto mouthpiece. I held onto that piece for a long, long time. I had tons of backup Fmaj7's that were all just fantastic mouthpieces, but none of them compared to my original. Had a brief romance with the JodyJazz DVNY (still the best metal alto mouthpiece made, IMO) but kept going back to the Lamberson. I remember even Fred Lamberson told me he might keep that one, because there was something special about it. Boy was he right.

Second one was when I played a 257,xxx Conn Transitional alto rebuilt by some italian tech...a freakin' magic horn. About 15 years ago I think. Everyone who played it wanted to buy it. The intonation was so perfect, and it could do everything. The sound quality was just incredible. Layers upon layers upon layers of richness. A close friend has it now and I should have never got rid of it, but he cherishes that horn so I'm glad it's in good hands, and I'm a tenor player these days so it's not as bittersweet.

Third one was when I first played on your 10mfan pieces. Completely changed how I looked at tenor pieces; the Robusto, and more recently the Showtime, completely changed my concept of a great tenor mouthpiece.

Fourth one was playing on the Legere Signature reeds. I tried a ton of synthetics over the years, and some were pretty good but never quite did it for me. My repair mentor suggested them to me, and brought a couple in the back and opened them up and let me try them out, and I was enormously surprised how great they played. Pretty much been on them consistently for over 5 years now. Completely changed the game for me in terms of reeds...SO much less time spent on trying to find a great reed. I know these will play great right from the get go. I still dabble with some cane reeds, and I still think a GREAT cane reed is a little better, but when I need to play, I know I can pick up any of my Legere Signatures and they will play and sound great.

I am hoping the fifth magical moment is when I get my "The Martin Tenor" back from Aaron Barnard after a full custom restoration...went all out on this rebuild and I am dying with anticipation to get it back. I don't like a lot of repair tech work out there today, but I've seen his and it is truly exceptional, so I can't wait to play it. Black roo pads, solid silver resotech resonators, silver plating the keys to match the body, finally getting all the proper dent work completed, tightening all the keywork, everything.

Fun thread! Cool to relive those moments and glad you had one, too. You're making me jones to try a small tip opening!

- Saxaholic

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an Otto Link Early Babbitt 4* hard rubber tenor about 20 years ago that came in, and it was one of those great moments too. Big open warm sound with punch. I should have learned to stick with the smaller tips after that, but I was so used to my 10* at that time, and not mature enough to be ok with playing a 4* tip. :)

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
1. The sound of the first middle D I played on my 1953 Selmer SBA tenor (which I bought in 1995).

2. When I realized that I played the best tenor mouthpiece brand (for me!) ever made from the beginning of my sax playing life (without knowing it when I started). (Sorry Mark, not one of your models, but the one I play now for almost 10 years came from you!) :bluewink:

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brother, I don’t care if it’s one of my mouthpieces. The magic moments we get come from many different things. I know you love your Links and I’m so glad I was able to find you one that you really love!

That is truly what it’s all about.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
My brother recently purchased one of your alto mouthpieces and he's absolutely loving it!! For me, I'm having a magical period with a tenor Saxscape Live. I was perfectly happy with my previous mouthpiece (6 years) but man, this mouthpiece has me playing every moment I have a chance...to my wife's chagrin. The sound in my head is finally there and when I listen back to recordings of my recent gigs I'm really happy. I wish I had the Saxscape Live 10 years ago. Your idea of a magic experience with the right mouthpiece is right on! This mouthpiece is the first mouthpiece that just gets out of my way and man, I'm real happy. Before the Saxscape I really enjoyed an Ed Zentera STM which is another magical mouthpiece. One of these days I need to get ahold of one of your alto Daddyo mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
A few things come to mind quickly...

I bought an all original NY USA Meyer Alto 7S off a friend in a dire financial bind as a favor to him. That MP was the single greatest mouthpiece I have ever played. Kept it for 10 years waiting for him to reclaim it...but alas no he never did. I never ever should've sold that thing.

I tried my dearly departed friend and legend Aaron Sach's beat up old Conn 10M tenor 325,xxx with straight tone holes. This was quite a moment. Horrible ergos with a magical response and sound.

I played a few 5 digit Selmer tenors at Marin Spivak's house earlier this year that twisted my brain into a pretzel. An 87,xxx, 100,xxx and a 38,xxx SBA in particular were all holy grails. All restored by set up by Marin and each was absolutely the ultimate tenors. If I had the bread and I was in the market, I would not have hesitated. As it is I'm very happy and totally able to express myself with my vintage Keilwerths and P. Mauriats but these were better, maybe not $10k better but had something extra for sure.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My brother recently purchased one of your alto mouthpieces and he's absolutely loving it!! For me, I'm having a magical period with a tenor Saxscape Live. I was perfectly happy with my previous mouthpiece (6 years) but man, this mouthpiece has me playing every moment I have a chance...to my wife's chagrin. The sound in my head is finally there and when I listen back to recordings of my recent gigs I'm really happy. I wish I had the Saxscape Live 10 years ago. Your idea of a magic experience with the right mouthpiece is right on! This mouthpiece is the first mouthpiece that just gets out of my way and man, I'm real happy. Before the Saxscape I really enjoyed an Ed Zentera STM which is another magical mouthpiece. One of these days I need to get ahold of one of your alto Daddyo mouthpieces.

I love it! I’m so glad he is loving the alto mouthpiece. That’s awesome. Very cool to have two brothers playing the saxophone. Hopefully you will get one at some point.

That’s great news about your Saxscape. Ken is a good friend of mine and has been for a long time. I’m always in support of everything he does and I’m so glad you’re having fun with that mouthpiece. Those magic moments are well...MAGICAL!

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few things come to mind quickly...

I bought an all original NY USA Meyer Alto 7S off a friend in a dire financial bind as a favor to him. That MP was the single greatest mouthpiece I have ever played. Kept it for 10 years waiting for him to reclaim it...but alas no he never did. I never ever should've sold that thing.

I tried my dearly departed friend and legend Aaron Sach's beat up old Conn 10M tenor 325,xxx with straight tone holes. This was quite a moment. Horrible ergos with a magical response and sound.

I played a few 5 digit Selmer tenors at Marin Spivak's house earlier this year that twisted my brain into a pretzel. An 87,xxx, 100,xxx and a 38,xxx SBA in particular were all holy grails. All restored by set up by Marin and each was absolutely the ultimate tenors. If I had the bread and I was in the market, I would not have hesitated. As it is I'm very happy and totally able to express myself with my vintage Keilwerths and P. Mauriats but these were better, maybe not $10k better but had something extra for sure.

Those are all great moments. The sound of the old Conn, if you hadn’t played one, can definitely be magical. The ergo’s, I completely understand. :)
A great Meyer can be a wonderful treat for any alto player. I have on so many of those and when you find that magical one, I get it. Marin does fantastic work. He is meticulous with his work on mouthpieces and saxophones so I completely understand that.

It’s funny, we all love our set up’s but those magical moments don’t happen all the time, but when they do, it just makes you feel so great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts