Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the Berkner High School Jazz Band in my freshman year, I'm going to be a sophomore this year. Our jazz band was really new in these videos, nobody (including the director :bluewink:) had been in it before this year so go easy on us. Because of our odd instrumentation, our director arranges lots of the music.

This is my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/thecooljazzguy

My personal favorites are Chameleon (I solo in part 1 at 4:15 with Robin Owens), Misty, and Ants Marching.

I'd love comments and constructive criticism :) I also played Scaramouche mvts 1 and 2 in a concerto competition and I'm working on getting those uploaded ASAP but I'm having some difficulties.

Thanks guys :mrgreen:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm the same grade as you, I know how scary it is to first solo, I started in an older ensemble and got put up to soloing by my senior tenor 1 counterpart... all I can say is regardless of how much they'll beat all the things they say you should incorporate in your solo its no good if youre not having fun. solos are supposed to be fun, even silly, trust your ears more than your eyes[;
and be more comfy: nobody's going to chase after you with pitchforks if you've got a power stance and do some dancing=P

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha thanks for the advice. I'm not so much really scared of soloing but I'm just not totally comfortable yet. I'll get there :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your tone is really good (not to mention you're saying you were only in 9th grade at the time--hot damn). You'll get better with time and being comfortable soloing, you just have to keep on doing it. You can loosen up a tad (but that will come with practice yet again) but please don't ever play like the person you were soling with. It's alright to have fun but you can keep a good tone and core sound while having a great time. You don't need to overblow and throw everything you know into one solo. Keeping within your skills (and occasionally pushing yourself to your limits) will make you out to be a better musician and show maturity in your playing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
agreed, I wasn't referring to having fun and being silly or even the dancing stuff as a "who cares do what you want" but soloing should be enjoyable and its not a sin if you throw in a recognizeable or clichhe phrase in to make your ensemble chuckle. and as for dancing I was just saying you stand like a pole in the ground=P Go you for soloing though!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the comments and advice and stuff it means a lot :) Jessica, watch chameleon. Points if you can fund a quote in my solo ;) As to the thing about being as stiff as a pole, I think the exact same thing when watching myself. I'm going to a jazz combo camp at UNT in a few weeks, maybe I'll make it a goal to be more relaxed and less tense while soloing cause I'll be in front of a lot of new people, not just the same ole jazz band people that I see everyday.

·
Banned
6,392 Posts
Thanks guys for the comments and advice and stuff it means a lot :) Jessica, watch chameleon. Points if you can fund a quote in my solo ;) As to the thing about being as stiff as a pole, I think the exact same thing when watching myself. I'm going to a jazz combo camp at UNT in a few weeks, maybe I'll make it a goal to be more relaxed and less tense while soloing cause I'll be in front of a lot of new people, not just the same ole jazz band people that I see everyday.
Don't worry about how you look, just play! :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry about how you look, just play! :)
easier said than done but i'm working on it :p I suppose it'll come with time like nimogt said.

play that funky music I know=P
yup. that one's an easy one to throw in there and EVERYBODY knows it, not just the jazz fans or musicians

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.