Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
That little guy has some percussion chops already. That is amazing speed and large muscle coordination for a child his age. I wonder if this is how Buddy Rich got started? Too bad you can't bottle his raw enthusiasm and give it to older students who lack motivation.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm level 1 certified in Kodaly...maybe some time I'll teach at a school where I can use it.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Actually this was just an informal jam session, not a lesson. Although if it was a lesson it occurs to me that I was the one who was being schooled!
LOL. kids have a way of doing that.

Thanks, Von, that was just awesome.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,226 Posts
The kids give me lessons every day. Did you know that hair mousse is flammable?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EE

Yes I learned some stuff from this lad as well. Is he family member or just a fellow traveler?

CB

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EE I hear you, we have some things in common philosophy wise I believe.

My goals as a teacher are:

1. My students play better than me, then I send them to guys/gals like you.
2. They call me for a gig and I ask for scale plus per diem and I get it.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher.
-Walt Whitman

When I get my dates for the NYC trip together I will email you. Wife and I are coming for our 10th never been to the City together. Hope you have a gig too.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just had an idea. I'm going to take a tune the kids pick from the 5th grade band book and evolve it based on my experiences playing the horn since their age to the point where i am today. I will report back.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I wonder if this is how Buddy Rich got started?

I believe Buddy was called "traps the wonder boy" and worked in the circus. He was doing press rolls for his parent's high wire act at age 2 1/2 according to some reports...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I believe Buddy was called "traps the wonder boy" and worked in the circus. He was doing press rolls for his parent's high wire act at age 2 1/2 according to some reports...
That is simply incredible...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts