Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know whether I am barking up the wrong tree here but I have a French made sax which is a stencil imported to the UK for Chas Foote,
the stencil in question is a rarity, it is what I believe to be a Lyrist / Briard and not only does it has rolled tone holes but matt silver plate finish and full pearls. As such I was thinking that in this particular sax, white pads would possibly suit it well for historical reasons, am i being too OCD here? Anyhow, white pads is what I feel it should have but I do not particularly wish to use Roo's, so does anyone know where one may source some or can Musicmedic make them but out of a different leather?

The sax in question is an alto and identical to this soprano as in pearls etc:
Saxophone soprano Lyrist essaye par Briard n* B81XX

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,910 Posts
I do not know whether I am barking up the wrong tree here but I have a French made sax which is a stencil imported to the UK for Chas Foote,
the stencil in question is a rarity, it is what I believe to be a Lyrist / Briard and not only does it has rolled tone holes but matt silver plate finish and full pearls. As such I was thinking that in this particular sax, white pads would possibly suit it well for historical reasons, am i being too OCD here? Anyhow, white pads is what I feel it should have but I do not particularly wish to use Roo's, so does anyone know where one may source some or can Musicmedic make them but out of a different leather?
I'd just contact Curt or someone at Musicmedic and ask directly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not white Roos, well I am just not so certain about them, the ethical side of it for sure and also I have read that many do not feel they are not everything they are hailed to be, I think i shall ask Curt anyhow. There is buying the leather and making them but I am not sure whether i wish to go through all of that, I have never made a full set before and not sure if I really wish to at the moment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
Kids or Kangaroos are used to make pads. Whether the product of farming or hunting, it is what it is.

If anyone has ethical problems with the use of leather it is possible to have a vegan pads ( don’t forget that shellac is also made with animals) solution. Not everyone agrees on how good these pads are.

If you want white pads probably this option (synthetic pads) is not viable. Maybe Jim Schmidt would also make his synthetic pads in white but he has a very interesting way to apply pads.

·
38,837 Posts

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
If you are OCD about vegan ethics, get Music Center to make you some pads with synthetic felt and their amazing, white or brown,"microfibre" synthetic leather.
My experience of it suggests it is likely the best pad covering material ever used:

Totally waterproof, as soft, flexible and stretchy as real leather, looks like real leather, far tougher than real leather, non-sticky, glues well, resists grime, never dries out or becomes hard...
However it is not commonly used or advertised, presumably because it costs a fair bit more than leather. (So does top quality synthetic felt.)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
You can’t argue with the fact that roo pads put some bounce into your horn.
When I showed my little granddaughter my silver alto and told he the white pads were made from kangaroo skin she asked, "Grandpa, does that make the keys Jump better?" I told her "Of course they do".

·
Registered
392 Posts
......so, I don’t get this OCD thing. You’ve got this rare stencil horn.....and you clearly appreciate that it is a rare stencil, yet you are fixated on finding a white pad, regardless of the material they are made of. May I recommend researching the type of pad that was stock for this horn and attempting to replicate.......

“Looks cool” and “Plays like an original” are different.

......I’m guessing that when your horn was built, some cow, goat, sheep, or horse gave their life for the pads....

·
38,837 Posts
those white pads ( Kid leather) which equipped horns like these no longer exist although every now and again someone sells a batch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
I agree, white would look good on that sax.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I like white too but it gets dirty and then looks really, really shabby.
They shouldn't really be called white pads, because they soon won't be. So verging on false advertising???

·
38,837 Posts
Mine are still white after several years the only minor discoloration of the 3 left palm keys which are notoriously collecting water condensation and are closed most of the time, all the rest is white.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Tan pads don’t look too special once they go green either.
Plus there’s a distinct lack of bounce in their tone.

(Insert drum role here).

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
As I have posted before, I have had white roos in my Selmer SBA alto for many years and they have held up beautifully. If one takes care of the saxophone and swabs it out after playing the "soiling" of the pads is minimum. Every 3 or 4 years I strip my sax down to remove the tarnish on the body and polish the finish. At that time if any pads are showing a bit of discoloration I clean that area using a white art eraser (thanks Curt), and if it is oil or grease based I use tolulene. It is a labor intensive process, but one I enjoy doing and is worth the effort IMO to have a saxophone with the look of polished silver and white pads.

I will say that the time it is the hardest to keep the white pads clean is when installing them as part of an overhaul since they show everything they come in contact with. The photos below offer proof. The first is the pads after cleaning with white eraser and tolulene after 10 years of use. (The second one is a joke about how careful one needs to be to keep them clean---the facemask part anyway. :) )

The last link shows the entire process. Oops. I could have cleaned the pad in the F key a bit better. :oops:

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/jbtsax/slideshow/Selmer SBA alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
What about white pads and leaving your sax out on a stand?

Is it a big deal?

Ive never had them but Ive seen some old dirty ones that made me shy away.

They sure are pretty on a silver horn.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts