Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some woman from France contacted me by email and inquired about teaching her son who will be her for 2 monthes. She wanted to know my fees and how much for 2 months, times for lessons. What sounds fishy is that I said I could teach weds or thurs afternoons and she jumped on Both afternoons. Also, she said she'd give me a check in excess of what I was charging and could I give extra to @@@@@ . Now my radar is up. Weird? This happen to anyone else teaching? K

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Yes, a very well-known and long-standing scam. I recall something on the AFM site about it, it became such an epidemic. She'll send you a check for $5000 over your fees, and then ask you to send her that amount back. Who would fall for it? Not sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just tell here you will refund the money after the cheque clears and after you have deducted another 50% for money laundering fees.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Coincidentally, this just now came in my email (to "undisclosed recipients" - nice way to instill confidence):

Hello,

I'm Mrs Sandra Cowell from Paris,France.during my search for a piano instrument lesson teacher that would always take my son (chris) and I found you..Your advert looks great and it is very okay to me since you specialize in the area i am seeking for him... My Son would be coming to US (your city) Before the end of this month for a period of time and with his friend for 2 Months.he is just a beginner and he is 16 years old, i want you to help me teach lesson during his stay. So, kindly let me know your charges cost per week's ,in order for me to arrange for his payment before he travels down to your side. I have also made preparation for his personal equipment he will be using privately at home after the lesson during his stay.

Please Advise back on;

(1). your charges per 1 hour twice a week for 2 Months?

(2).The Day and time you will be available to teach him During the week?

(3).Tuition address?

I will be looking forward to read from you soonest.

Best Regards,

Mrs Sandra Cowell

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
I got a similar email on an item I was selling. What's odd is that the grammer always shows that the writer isn't fluent in english or french or wherever they claim to be from. For instance, french speakers make certain grammatical errors when speaking english, and those aren't the errors in the email. The errors can always be classified as "pidgin english."

Have her send the check so that you can put in on your wall. Then tell her you didn't get it, or you got it and have made the donation (but to the wrong entity). Or tell her that you believe her son can't be taught how to play an instrument. Jerk her chain a little, if you have the time and inclination. I have a beautiful cashier's check drawn on a Dallas bank in the name of an East Indian import company. My customer was supposedly in Italy, although the emails originated from Nigeria.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts