Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,587 Posts
Cool. An eight minute video that sums up half the archives on the forum...some of the chronic over-posters here have spent weeks of their lives typing out their thoughts on these matters and arguing them every time a new thread pops up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well, I'm glad somebody finally settled the age-old "vintage vs modern" debate. But now what we will talk about?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,442 Posts
Most sax myths were dispelled after this forum was on for a few years, but new ones pop up every day. So we really should list sax myths by 'pre-net' or 'post-net'. A common pre-net myth was that there was a MK IV. Obviously many people who try to figure out Roman numerals are dyslexic. Also, Selmers had gold in the brass. That came from the Selmer term 'Gold lacquer'. Now get this; a well-known sax tech who works for some big names told me the other day that Selmer USA saxes are no good because the brass in the keys is some kind of 'pot metal' and can't be brazed without falling apart. Dude; look at the sax - see the keys brazed to the rods. How did that happen? Was it magic? These keys might not be as tough as Selmer Paris 'hammer-forged' keys but they are perfectly adequate and are not 'bendy' like your typical Chinese sax. I have had to correct damage on my tenor and I can tell you it wasn't easy bending those keys, and nothing broke.
Whatever, sax myths will pop up every day - its just human nature.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did have the opportunity to play an older Jean-Baptiste bari sax that had been made in China. I was startled at the springiness from the keys bending. Another player noticed it as well when he tried that horn and contrasted it to his newer Taishan bari (Chinese made), whose keys lacked the bending.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The issue with Chinese manufacture is two fold...
1. Over time, SOME get better and better and now there are some horns coming that are better than the price. So folks with the experience of a crappy older Chinese horn tend to view them all from that lens.
2. Not all Chinese manufacturers are reliable, repeatable, bad or good, so putting any overarching descriptor on them is not appropriate.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have to concur on all accounts, with one undecided question about ligatures. I too believe its just a clamp. You can use rubber bands, string, tape, your thumb - any variety of things to hold the reed secure to the mouthpiece - BUT - I have noticed a good fitting metal ligature seems to give me a bit more brightness and response than a Rovner or other fabric or leather stretchy ligature? Its cheap and easy to compare ligatures, and I've done a lot, and pretty much feel like most every case, a Rovner or leather ligature sounds a little different - and that's not a bad thing. I really prefer a metal ligature though as a result.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Thanks for stopping by Buzz Killington, King of the Search Function.

No telling if you are joking or not.

But this sort of notion has been expressed seriously before.

I have never understood this reaction, viz, that research into stored information here, or citing to that information, kills discussions.

It seems to me that people who are interested in a subject may well want to read about it.

Reading about a subject beyond the current thread will let a person who is interested find out what has been said before.

Some of the previous statements might be made by people who are now dead, for example, and can no longer participate.

In addition, some of those earlier statements and opinions could be the source of interesting discussions in the modern thread.

Furthermore, no one forces anyone to open links to past threads, or other sources, referenced in a current thread or post.

On the other hand, if the search function is used exclusively, and old discussions are substituted for current dialogue, we could easily end up with fewer conversations.

Support the search function.

Support opening dialogues and discussions.

Both are cool and have an important place.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,587 Posts
No telling if you are joking or not.

But this sort of notion has been expressed seriously before.

I have never understood this reaction, viz, that research into stored information here, or citing to that information, kills discussions.

It seems to me that people who are interested in a subject may well want to read about it.

Reading about a subject beyond the current thread will let a person who is interested find out what has been said before.

Some of the previous statements might be made by people who are now dead, for example, and can no longer participate.

In addition, some of those earlier statements and opinions could be the source of interesting discussions in the modern thread.

Furthermore, no one forces anyone to open links to past threads, or other sources, referenced in a current thread or post.

On the other hand, if the search function is used exclusively, and old discussions are substituted for current dialogue, we could easily end up with fewer conversations.

Support the search function.

Support opening dialogues and discussions.

Both are cool and have an important place.
Joking. The funny thing (to me) is that 99% of the time it's the same guy posting the links and most often supplies them with what comes off as a passive aggressive comment that the OP should've used the search function instead of wasting time and precious forum space opening a new thread on a widely discussed topic. approaching 35,000 posts and probably half of them are telling people to use the search function...which sucks (the function, not the poster of course.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,215 Posts
I have to concur on all accounts, with one undecided question about ligatures. I too believe its just a clamp. You can use rubber bands, string, tape, your thumb - any variety of things to hold the reed secure to the mouthpiece - BUT - I have noticed a good fitting metal ligature seems to give me a bit more brightness and response than a Rovner or other fabric or leather stretchy ligature? Its cheap and easy to compare ligatures, and I've done a lot, and pretty much feel like most every case, a Rovner or leather ligature sounds a little different - and that's not a bad thing. I really prefer a metal ligature though as a result.
Someone should do a blind ligature comparison video!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts