Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an alto player by nature, but have been playing bari sax in my ensembles at university since september. I use a neotech harness, which suits me fine for the shorter rehearsals, but I've been chosen as a member of the NYB of canada, on bari sax, and have about 9 days of straight bari playing to look forward to. I find that i do have pain after longer days, and I'm beginning to notice some back issues. I wonder if it is my harness.

I'm fairly endowed bust wise (G cup) and find that in order to compensate, i have to have my harness loser than I would like, I find that the back elastic comes up fairly high (mid upper back, maybe 6 inches below my neck, and the hook is rather low on my chest (under my bust). Any suggestions for models or modifications i can make ?

I've heard about gemini harnesses but im really not sure I want to invest without being able to try one out.

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The free neck is the way to go if you can afford it. The weight transfer and clearance from your chest are the prime design features. I purchased the 4.1 model;

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ergonomic_s..._alcantara.htm

If you are outside of the EU, the VAT (15%) will be deducted from the listed price. DHL shipping (3 days) was about $45 to Vancouver Island, Canada.

After 2 years of use, I can say it was money well spent. The absence of pain and posture/endurance benefits are what come to mind.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
862 Posts
I use a Gemini on the Bass:
http://studiospace.com/rcsq/

It is a great harness. I'm sure you are aware that they make a harness designed for ladies. They also have a 30 day return policy:

The Gemini Harness is provided with a 30-day money back guarantee. If you're not completely satisfied that you can play the saxophone more comfortably with the Gemini Harness, we'll gladly refund your payment less $10 re-stocking charge for undamaged goods.

Please call us at 519-846-9663 if you have any questions about this product.

So, all you have to risk is $10.00.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
It's well worth considering the Saxholder, but I would definitely suggest trying before you buy:

with that thing plus G cup I'm sure a sax player would get a gazillion gigs :mrgreen:

·
27,650 Posts
with that thing plus G cup I'm sure a sax player would get a gazillion gigs :mrgreen:
Yeah, but does the hat come with it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should add. The Harness I'm currently using is a Neotech padded harness.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can't use a neckstrap because of some problems with my neck. One of my cruder bandmates asked me if my neotech harness was purchased at an adult toy store! The gemini looks like it would have the same effect. One thing I've done is to use a Smartstrap and wear it over an undershirt, but beneath my outer garment. It does affect my choice of apparel.

http://www.smartstrap.com/

I have one of these set up to go around my waist, and another that I wear higher, around my ribcage. It's not the most comfortable, but it's my best solution so far.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Another vote for the Ergo Freeneck. The only harness to use for lots of Bari playing.

·
27,650 Posts
Would like to give them a try without worrying about whether the VAT will be subtracted from the price, what the exchange rate is, etcetera.
I doubt that you'd ever pay customs for a sax strap coming from Europe. Regarding exchange rate, here you go. Only takes a couple of seconds. http://www.xe.com/ucc/

·
Yes, one of the neck strap guys.
135 Posts
I am going to guess that the current harness you are using is the Soft Harness, which is the one that sells best because it's less expensive. The Super Harness would be a better solution for playing Bari. (The Soft Harness is mostly intended for Alto). The Super Harness features a neoprene yoke that goes across the neck and shoulders. The instrument can be placed wherever you like side-to-side via the self-adjusting slider on the back. You may also find that an X-L size would be more comfortable for you as well. It is available in two hook styles or our exclusive Loop Connector for ultimate security.

If you have any questions about it please feel free to email me or send me a PM here at the forum. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Hey, saxmaam,

I have the Neotech "Soft Harness" and have been using the same model for about 10 years. I found that shortening the strap that comes under my right arm helped put the horn into a better playing position, and I did that in an oh-so-elegant way by tying a few knots in it. Yeah, it's dorky-looking, but that's life. My low-A horn is a HEAVY monster, and if I need to play it, I'm going to be as comfortable as possible doing it.

On gigs where people tend more to hear with their eyes, I play my low-Bb horn and use a strap (it's not much heavier than a tenor). If it's a gig where looks AND sound matter, I wear a jacket over the harness. FWIW, I've tried the Neotech Super Harness, and found it to be far LESS comfortable because it squashes an unnecessary amount of padding right over my collarbone. Could be that there isn't a perfect solution for this problem, but at least I give them credit for trying.

If you're sore in spite of a dorky harness... the only solution for that might well be to do some working out. When you're supporting a 15-19 pound horn in one position for hours at a stretch, it's probably not reasonable to expect that you WON'T feel it. I was putting in 4-6 hours a day practicing bari a few summers ago, and I do remember being stiff afterward most days. Probably not a coincidence that most of my technical practice these days is on alto or tenor--when I know I have a bari gig coming up, I'll spend a week or so beforehand focusing on that horn.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
I wear a vest over the harness when I play bari....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
I suppose an important factor is whether you'll be switching frequently between sitting/standing.

If you're playing a school owned bari, they might not approve of a floor stand (since they require a collar to be attached to the bell). But if that's not an issue and you don't have to get up and down with the sax often, playing from a stand might be a great way to go.

In addition to a jiffy, you might also look into a Hamilton stand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts