Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used MB II piece from Dave Wison (Dwilsonjazz). and it plays great. I've gone through this routine before. Get a guardala, love it and then it gets progressively unplayable. So, my question is

Is there anyway to freeze/protect the facing, table and rails so the piece plays like it does now?? I'm convinced that my saliva eats away plating. I have a Van V 16 piece that was gold plated and I'm through that to the silver underneath.So , do any of you refacers have any tricks. I already plan to never leave a reed on it durring practice sessions and gigs and to wipe it off after playing. Thanks guys. I know someone has had this happen to them. I've been through 3 superkings, 2 Kings and this is my 2nd MB piece. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
There's no way. Always take the reed off and at least rinse and wipe down the mpce after playing. Before any reed use, scrub each reed with hydrogen peroxide on a toothbrush and put it back in the Reedguard. You should be keeping the reeds in a Reedguard anyway, so that's a win-win. The curious thing to me is, if you have played Kings and Super Kings, how in the world can you get by with a MB? I mean, it's a quantum chops leap from a King to a Super King (or vice versa), much less dropping all the way to a MB. I guess you can get some help from reeds, by maybe playing a 4 or 5 on the MB, but those are some major leaps there. If it's the Laser-Trimmed MBII that you like now, you could just buy one every few months and save them for future use - they are extremely consistent. Have you tried a Studio?

·
1,243 Posts
Try if you can find a steel mpc that you like. Beechler, Berg Larsen and some Peter Ponzols are not plated and will certainly stay beautiful longer than mouthpieces with plating. And perhaps get Sakshamato modify it so that it is most similar to your favorite Guardala.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I already plan to never leave a reed on it durring practice sessions and gigs and to wipe it off after playing.
Is that to say that, until now, your habit is to leave the reed on the mouthpiece?

If so, and you are true to developing a new (good) habit, that should take care of the matter.

Either that or <shudder> switch to a hard rubber copy of the Guardala of choice (or similar, ex. Lamberson DD).

·
12,707 Posts
I wish all players took off their reed and occasionally, if not daily, gave the mouthpiece a rinse or a dunk into some water. I get some stuff in here that is really scary. Im not OCD with my mouthpieces but I dont let them build up enough gunk to become organic baffles.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really think its just me. When I played trpt years ago I ate though the lacquer on the horn where I held it or touched it. I like plated pieces but have played HR or Berg stainless in the past just to have a piece that didn't change on me. K

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I got a used MB II piece from Dave Wison (Dwilsonjazz). and it plays great. I've gone through this routine before. Get a guardala, love it and then it gets progressively unplayable. So, my question is

Is there anyway to freeze/protect the facing, table and rails so the piece plays like it does now?? I'm convinced that my saliva eats away plating. I have a Van V 16 piece that was gold plated and I'm through that to the silver underneath.So , do any of you refacers have any tricks. I already plan to never leave a reed on it durring practice sessions and gigs and to wipe it off after playing. Thanks guys. I know someone has had this happen to them. I've been through 3 superkings, 2 Kings and this is my 2nd MB piece. K
I can solve this. When you want to fix this problem once and for all give me a call. It's too complicated for me to explain here. Phil Barone 212.686.9410

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Try if you can find a steel mpc that you like. Beechler, Berg Larsen and some Peter Ponzols are not plated and will certainly stay beautiful longer than mouthpieces with plating. And perhaps get Sakshamato modify it so that it is most similar to your favorite Guardala.

That would take forever and I don't think it could be done. The angle of the table is almost straight on Guardala's and you can't change that. Phil Barone

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I wish all players took off their reed and occasionally, if not daily, gave the mouthpiece a rinse or a dunk into some water. I get some stuff in here that is really scary. Im not OCD with my mouthpieces but I dont let them build up enough gunk to become organic baffles.
+ ten thousand. Nobody takes care of their stuff. Phil Barone

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
This is kind of crazy to me. I have played metal mpcs of various makes over the years and I don't think I have ever worn one out like that. Is this common. How long until my barone goes south?
Some people's saliva is stronger than others. Your saliva aids in digesting food so it's natural that it can corrode metal. I used to work on Julius Hemphill's mouthpieces and he went through a mouthpiece in a month. He had his horn gold-plated and when he passed on maybe four years later it was already getting pitted. Phil Barone

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
It seems that the quality of the brass, too much zinc, has something to do with the corrosion of brass.
I've never had this problem, but you know that materials, including brass, is not as good as what was used before.

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/MatSelect/corrbrass.htm
The brass hasn't changed in the Guardala's because they're machined. They use something called "free-machining brass. It has a little lead in it so it cuts more easily. But guardala mouthpieces aside brass is usually a standard metal, it doesn't change. Phil Barone

·
2,077 Posts
Its not unusual for a Guardala that is heavily played on a daily basis to last less than a handful of years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Wow. Some pretty freakin' expensive "disposable" mouthpieces. Sheesch......

John
And do you think its the worn out ones that come up for sale?

Im a materials scientist by training, and I have to confess Im having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the vibrating or static reed would have any significant impact on wearing the brass rail profile, or that losing the plating over time makes any difference to the way a piece plays.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yeah, Ive seen some quite worn mpcs due to teeth marks, but not from saliva (acid). You guys are noxious! :)

·
2,077 Posts
And do you think its the worn out ones that come up for sale?

Im a materials scientist by training, and I have to confess Im having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the vibrating or static reed would have any significant impact on wearing the brass rail profile, or that losing the plating over time makes any difference to the way a piece plays.
Believe it.

" And do you think its the worn out ones that come up for sale?"

Thats why I always giggle to myself when people pay exorbitant mounts of $$ for original hand made Guardalas. Because unless it is mint and was kept unplayed in a box all these years, it's probably beatand will need refacing to make it any good, thus destroying the reason it was so expensive in the first place.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yeah, Ive seen some quite worn mpcs due to teeth marks, but not from saliva (acid). You guys are noxious! :)
It is true. I ate through my Barone Jazz plating and started eating through the brass in a couple of spots on the table.

I had the mpc replated, now remove my reed after I play, clean my mpc regularly, and most importantly have stopped drinking soda. Now, I don't have a problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts