Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's still another tune I wrote from my CD "Shout-out!"
This is for the great tenor stylist Houston Person.
This one is in the real bluesy key of E concert, F# on the tenor. I spent a lot of time in blues bands and bar bands playing in E because lots of guitar players like that key.
And you know what...eventually I liked it too!
Same great NYC rhythm section
Ed Cherry guitar
Diego Voglino drums
Carlo De Rosa bass

I'm on my 73xxx Mark VI , 9* Otto Link Florida No USA
#3 medium Roberto's Winds reed

·
Registered
718 Posts
What a treat! Houston Person is one of favorites; when I am asked what tonal concert I am looking to emulate, he is the guy. I particularly like him with Ron Carter, but I need to explore his whole catalog more. Great song and great playing in this cut, Jeff. A fine tribute.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, Jeff.

Those changes remind me of some tunes by Chris Cain. Do you know of him?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nice Job, Jeff. I met Houston Person more than once and he is a super nice guy. He ended up giving me his phone number and we have corresponded from time to time. He is a class act all the way. I love his tone and approach and I am happy to see that he is continuing to inspire musicians to play soulful, bluesy jazz.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Really nice, thank you for sharing. I saw Housten Person recently play a show with Ethan Iverson, and the depth of tone he got from his horn was awesome - it filled the room, and made my hair stand on end for basically the whole show

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing that, Jeff.

Those changes remind me of some tunes by Chris Cain. Do you know of him?
Hi
I don't know him but I will admit to "borrowing" the basic progression from a blues-type tune I heard by Lurrie Bell,, although I can't remember the name of the tune now.
I changed the key and added a few chords here and there, extended the form and made up the melody.
Thanks for checking it out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice Job, Jeff. I met Houston Person more than once and he is a super nice guy. He ended up giving me his phone number and we have corresponded from time to time. He is a class act all the way. I love his tone and approach and I am happy to see that he is continuing to inspire musicians to play soulful, bluesy jazz.
Yeah Houston is a great guy! He has a beautiful warm tone that is getting rarer these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts