Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen and downloaded a bunch of short sax "demos" from this guy.. https://www.youtube.com/user/jgn840 He is known as jgn840 on YouTube and also on ebay. I think he has played and uploaded short demos (around 1 1/2 min long) on over 500 different Saxophones. Plays the same scales at the beginning, then about the same series of short melodies to "showcase" the sound of the particular saxohpone. He has played alto, tenor, soprano and so it is hard to know where to post this.

I just find that his sheer numbers of played saxophones is astonoshing, considering that he has played several Selmer Mark VI and Mark VII saxohones that many have not even seen in real life.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hi has often some great sax deals.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Notice how amazingly the same he sounds on each of them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Oh wow. At first I thought you were talking about ikema781!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,194 Posts

·
Vendor
15,458 Posts
AT FIRST ikema781 ANNOYED THE CRAP OUT OF ME...NOW I JUST LAUGH MY *SS OFF.

WHO WOULD TAKE THAT AMOUNT OF TIME TO DO THAT FOR ALL THOSE VIDEOS???

...AND HOW DOES HE NOT LAUGH WHILE MAKING THEM???

I THINK IF HE JUST GOT A GREAT MOUTHPIECE HE WOULD SOUND MUCH BETTER. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave, (I think that is your name...) what a remarkable job!! It is like a database of Saxophones for anyone to look at. When I was researching a tenor to buy, I looked on your "You Tube" channel first. Playing each instrument with scales first, right after a video shot of the instrument, then doing those shorter songs on them is truly genius. I can think of no better way to showcase what an instrument's potential is than what you do.

I bought a Vento 900 series Tenor Saxophone from Music Factory Direct recently, actually on the 28th of Dec. I came home and searched to see if you had done one.. nope. If I lived closer I would have loved to drop by and have you play it to see what it sounds like played by someone that can really play a saxophone. I just started in December for the first time playing Sax, so I have a way to go. I do have "Pink Panther Theme" down pretty well, though.

Have you ever played an instrument with rolled tone holes, like the Vento 900 has? If you have, (for ANYONE) is there any or much difference in tone quality. Personally, I found as a rank beginner I had very little trouble hitting those very low notes on it compared to some others. After I played it at MFD I was hooked and end up trading in my Roy Bensons TS-202 for it. I had bought the Roy Benson 2 days earier from them but it just didn't seem to speak as well as another I had played while there. They said I could bring it back and trade up if I wished. When I got there, they had this Vento 900 big bell tenor in the room waiting for me, and after I removed all the shiping wedges, I played it... and was hooked.

Again, such a great job at your videos and the way that each is played nearly identical to each other saxophone. By not changing to all different songs, the basis is more clear and it is a "bench trial" so to speak of all those different horns, but with as few variables to introduce as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know what's the title/author of the piece that JGN840 plays on youtube when testing tenors just after the first scale?
Thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
a legend in his own mind!
AT FIRST ikema781 ANNOYED THE CRAP OUT OF ME...NOW I JUST LAUGH MY *SS OFF.

WHO WOULD TAKE THAT AMOUNT OF TIME TO DO THAT FOR ALL THOSE VIDEOS???

...AND HOW DOES HE NOT LAUGH WHILE MAKING THEM???

I THINK IF HE JUST GOT A GREAT MOUTHPIECE HE WOULD SOUND MUCH BETTER.

Off topic: Can someone TALK to ikema781?? I mean, really, what is going on there? Perhaps he is hearing impaired?

I just have to say- whaaaa? whaaaay? ***? truly freakish. but, most of all please stop it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Notice how amazingly the same he sounds on each of them?
You have hit the nail on the head maddenma.
A saxophonist has his own sound; a lesson to all who fiddle & fart about with horns, reeds & mouthpieces in a vain attempt to sound like someone else. These appendages simply trim the sound...like a vernier adjustment....the core sound is in the player.

·
39,194 Posts
one has to appreciate his consistency though!

Ikema781 has stayed true to himself and his inspiration, outboard motors!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
one has to appreciate his consistency though!

Ikema781 has stayed true to himself and his inspiration, outboard motors!
Unfortunately, I'll have to give you that. But my teenage-ly texting world conundrum question still stands!

·
39,194 Posts
perhaps you could find him and tell him that he has made his mark on modern music

frnkfrkl wrote and played this in his honour

“........My tribute To the amazing Ikema781. I wrote this song especially for him. I was inspired by the sound of someone trying to start an outboard motor. Don't change anything, Ikema, that riff will go down in history..."

https://soundcloud.com/frnkfrkl/ikema-781-tribute

Many look for the right sound...........IKEMA781 found it! ......in his mind, where else?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts