Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Frank D said:
I'm out of the contest!
Nice period piece! I don't know who it is, but he or she (unlikely in that time frame) has all the vocabulary of that idiom down cold. This ought to be a TV theme for a period program sitcom.

I wouldn't have guessed Ace Cannon: wrong timbre.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
7,212 Posts
Earl Bostic?
Boots Randolph?
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
saxphil said:
Earl Bostic?
Boots Randolph?
Nope. It's definitely neither of these. I don't know who it is, but I can be pretty sure it's neither of these (are there recordings of Bostic playing tenor?).
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Joined
·
7,212 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Nope. It's definitely neither of these. I don't know who it is, but I can be pretty sure it's neither of these (are there recordings of Bostic playing tenor?).
John Laughter would know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys Just want to let yo know, I have no idea who it is. I guessed Ace Cannon, and was wrong. Whoever it is plays very cleanly, almost too clean.

I took a second guess at Johnny Paris.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
Bill Mecca said:
Guys Just want to let yo know, I have no idea who it is. I guessed Ace Cannon, and was wrong. Whoever it is plays very cleanly, almost too clean.

I took a second guess at Johnny Paris.
Maybe it's Fred Hemke or Larry Teal.:)
 

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
Joined
·
2,787 Posts
No, I do not have a clue. If I had to guess I would say either Jim Horn or Steve Douglas. There were so many of those instrumentals on LP's in those days and a few players who could cross over from one style to another in the studio. It will be interesting to find out.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
Joined
·
13,021 Posts
I guessed King Curtis, only because some of the licks sound right, but the tone is not his. As others said, it's very clean and has all the vocab of the time. Jim Horn or Steve Douglas would be my other guesses too.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
MartinMusicMan said:
I guessed King Curtis, only because some of the licks sound right, but the tone is not his. As others said, it's very clean and has all the vocab of the time. Jim Horn or Steve Douglas would be my other guesses too.
Not King Curtis, though he COULD have played this. But if he had, he would have played something else!:D

It actually sounds like my late lamented man Joe Stanley of DC, but I doubt it's him. He could have done this. But so could a lot of people of that time. (Plas could have.) It's a real period piece.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
246 Posts
It could be Buddy Lucas. He did some RCA recordings like this one in the late 60's. But Lucas had a more greasy tone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Agree with John Laughter, must be either Jim Horn or Steve Douglas, wrecking crew job. Very clean. Thanks for the link Bill, very interesting.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
spike said:
Agree with John Laughter, must be either Jim Horn or Steve Douglas, wrecking crew job. Very clean. Thanks for the link Bill, very interesting.
Will the YouTube poster of this clip reveal the player's identity? Otherwise we'll never know. . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he said he would reveal if no one guessed in 1000 comments. less than 500 right now. He also clued in that it was a female vocalist and this was added to the album as filler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Can anybody recognise the song that this is the melody from?
I just asked the poster for a clue, at 510 views it'll be christmas before we find out . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I just made a guess of Plas Johnson thinking that all of the other guesses were wrong. It doesn’t sound like him but he could play any style he needed to. Also with her clue of it being a Movie Soundtrack with Plas living and working in Hollywood it would be a perfect match. According to the comment she made to my guess it appears she doesn’t know who is playing it. She is asking what song it is and what album it comes from. Any one of the previous guesses could be correct. Here is her quote.

shannonwaxwell said:
Everyone, don't try to guess who the saxophonist is. Per previous comments, that info is not available on the album. The sax only version was merely an "extra" thrown in on the album. Once I reveal the song/album - and who sang the vocal version - someone might be able to research this - and find out who the actual saxoponist was - but the album doesn't say. Another hint - the *woman* who sang the vocal version of this song never played the sax.
Who cares what song it is? LOL
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Not King Curtis, though he COULD have played this. But if he had, he would have played something else!:D

It actually sounds like my late lamented man Joe Stanley of DC, but I doubt it's him. He could have done this. But so could a lot of people of that time. (Plas could have.) It's a real period piece.
I thought of Plas too. I really don't think so, though -- but it's possible; I think Plas could easily play this.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
God, what IS that song? I recognize it; I ought to know it. I can hear a woman's voice singing that melody. But I can't crack it.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top