Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what this is? the piece came a couple of years ago with a '30s Borgani NWII copy and as it looked ordinary, unbranded and faced to about a #3, I ignored it. Thinking it dates to the late '60s as came with a Vandoren S-Jazz Diamond Ebonite 7 which I think is from the same period?

Recently I decided to reface it, thinning the rails, opened it up to .100, which created a flat baffle under the tip to add to a very gently baffle at the bottom of the ramp that goes smoothly into the chamber floor through a cathedral arched throat. I kept the side walls straight and left the medium++ sized chamber alone.

I'm thinking it's a mix of hard rubber and resin (plastic) - like the Vandoren. It has a whiff of hard rubber, leaves a brown residue when refacing, but is still very black and I just feel there's some dyed plastic resin in the mix.

It plays incredible, with a richness and resonance that's off the charts, bang in the middle of the dark/bright spectrum, managing a huge low end and absurdly easy altissimo. It's a brilliant fit on my Vito Duke 39T so seems to enjoy the wider bore, but plays well with the same characteristics on Selmers too.

View attachment 238834

View attachment 238836

View attachment 238838

View attachment 238840

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
I think this is a Wagner mouthpiece

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - wow that was fast - will look it up. Really nice material and internal shapes and volume, masked by a terrible playing piece pre reface.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
I agree.
It certainly has the shape of the Wagner made pieces.
And it has the size on the side of the shank, which these pieces often have. It may very well be made 20 years later than OP thinks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And it has the size on the side of the shank, which these pieces often have. It may very well be made 20 years later than OP thinks.
Thanks Milandro, I'd assumed it might be the same vintage as the excellent Vandoren Perfecta/ Jazz-S that came in the same sorry-looking case. There was also a useless Selmer silver plated fluted thing that someone once blew through. Thanks, good to know it's more recent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts