Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I was in my local thrift shop today and came upon a Holton Alto Sax for $200. I didn't buy it, but was hoping you guys could give me some advice and let me know if it is worth it or not.
Here's what I know:
It a LP Alto, serial number 27505 (dating it around 1926). It's all silver, with a gold-wash bell. Split bell keys, extra keys for C# trill, G# trill and forked Eb. Has orginal case and possibly mouthpiece. It looks it has been repadded recently (it has metal resos) although it has numerous leaks. Also, that pads look cheap, but thats just my opinion.
What is the value of these horns? When set-up properly, will they play well? Was this a top-of-the-line Holton when it was built?
Any and all information you have is greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I'm in no way an expert on Holtons specifically (although we have quite a few on board here who are), but any quality vintage sax in good condition that is already setup and freshly padded ready to play for only $200 is worth getting in my opinion.

Our resident Holton aficionados will be along shortly.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While it does seem to have new pads, it definitely will need to be set up and is currently not in playing condition.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
... it definitely will need to be set up and is currently not in playing condition.
I find it difficult to give a helpful advice. This is a quality saxophone without doubt. If it looks promising to become the saxophone you are searching for (sound, playability ...) it could be a bargain. If not - it' s useless and of no value for you.

Was this a top-of-the-line Holton when it was built?
There was no second line 1926 and the Wiedoeft model was not yet introduced. So this "Revelation" Model was top-of-the-line.

Jazzbug1 is the man who can tell you more about playability and sound characteristics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts