Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I played an unlacquered P. Mauriat at Saxquest that was really nice. I went in to look at vintage mp's and a relac MVI, and they really wanted me to try it. Glad I did, although I just purchased an early Berg. If I were going to buy a new horn, that would be on the very short list.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Here's my opinion and my experience, but not necessarily "right" for you: You've listed some of my very favorite players as your target sound, and I also played an 889 Jupiter for a while when getting back into playing a few years back. My teacher played a Selmer series II with a Series II neck, and I really liked his tone. and I didn't care for it as much when he played my Jupiter, so I got a used but in great playing condition Selmer Series II. I found my self just giggling while I was playing that I was finally able to make a tone that I really liked.

So take a look at the Selmer series II and then maybe trying a series III neck on it. Or go with that link 1saxman provided for the Series III. I liked my subsequent series III even more than the series II. I now have moved on to a couple of MarkVIs, an awesome Yani TWO20 and a couple other terrific horns. I really dig a rich tone. I never was able to get it with a Yamaha or other Taiwanese horn, although many players seem to be able to. The Yamaha horns just felt so great in my hands I wanted to love their sound but couldn't make them work for me.
I didn't want to lead the witness, and was thinking the same thing, only the OP want's a darker sound. I think of the II/III as being in the opposite direction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.