Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I welcome any opinions. I have been playing a Jupiter 889 tenor for the last several years, but am excited about the prospect of getting a new horn. I am comfortable spending up to around $3500. The sound I want to get is on the very "warm" side - Houston Person, Scott Hamilton, Ben Webster are great examples of my ideal sound. Some horns I am considering are the Yamaha 62III, a P. Mauriat, and a Yanigasawa. From what I've read, I would also consider a used Yamaha 875EX, but these seem hard to find. Another option is to wait until I've saved up more money and get a new 875EX. I prefer a new horn or one that is in superb condition.
Do any particular horns stand out in your mind? Thanks. (By the way, on the Jupiter, my mouthpiece is a Selmer Soloist, which I am very happy with.).

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I played an unlacquered P. Mauriat at Saxquest that was really nice. I went in to look at vintage mp's and a relac MVI, and they really wanted me to try it. Glad I did, although I just purchased an early Berg. If I were going to buy a new horn, that would be on the very short list.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. There are several P. Mauriat models: 66,76R, 76RX, 97T. Do you happen to know which model you tried?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I The sound I want to get is on the very "warm" side - Houston Person, Scott Hamilton, Ben Webster are great examples of my ideal sound.
Here's my opinion and my experience, but not necessarily "right" for you: You've listed some of my very favorite players as your target sound, and I also played an 889 Jupiter for a while when getting back into playing a few years back. My teacher played a Selmer series II with a Series II neck, and I really liked his tone. and I didn't care for it as much when he played my Jupiter, so I got a used but in great playing condition Selmer Series II. I found my self just giggling while I was playing that I was finally able to make a tone that I really liked.

So take a look at the Selmer series II and then maybe trying a series III neck on it. Or go with that link 1saxman provided for the Series III. I liked my subsequent series III even more than the series II. I now have moved on to a couple of MarkVIs, an awesome Yani TWO20 and a couple other terrific horns. I really dig a rich tone. I never was able to get it with a Yamaha or other Taiwanese horn, although many players seem to be able to. The Yamaha horns just felt so great in my hands I wanted to love their sound but couldn't make them work for me.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Here's my opinion and my experience, but not necessarily "right" for you: You've listed some of my very favorite players as your target sound, and I also played an 889 Jupiter for a while when getting back into playing a few years back. My teacher played a Selmer series II with a Series II neck, and I really liked his tone. and I didn't care for it as much when he played my Jupiter, so I got a used but in great playing condition Selmer Series II. I found my self just giggling while I was playing that I was finally able to make a tone that I really liked.

So take a look at the Selmer series II and then maybe trying a series III neck on it. Or go with that link 1saxman provided for the Series III. I liked my subsequent series III even more than the series II. I now have moved on to a couple of MarkVIs, an awesome Yani TWO20 and a couple other terrific horns. I really dig a rich tone. I never was able to get it with a Yamaha or other Taiwanese horn, although many players seem to be able to. The Yamaha horns just felt so great in my hands I wanted to love their sound but couldn't make them work for me.
I didn't want to lead the witness, and was thinking the same thing, only the OP want's a darker sound. I think of the II/III as being in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,329 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,118 Posts
I agree with others here. The Selmer Super Action 80 series II paired with the right MPC (and player) is hard to beat for what you seem to be looking for. You won’t find a new one in your budget, but I’m sure you can get a great looking and playing one for $3,500 or less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts