Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The suggestions for what mouthpiece to go with are appreciated and I will try as many as possible; however, given the personal nature of mpcs I may not even like any of the pieces listed so far, even the ones I'm looking at on my own.

Which is totally fine with me. I enjoy the hunt, not so much to find the one piece that works, but to get a better idea of what is out there. I learn a lot about mouthpieces when I try them out 'cause I'm being helped by a person who isn't trying to make a sale, but trying to help me find the piece that works. Which is why I trust the guys at my shop to help me find the right one when I go on the hunt next weekend.

What I could really use are suggestions for finding a teacher. Google provides too many results, many of which seem questionable. Is there any search service or directory online? The reviews of a few people near by aren't that good, and clarinet isn't often listed as being an instrument taught--just woodwinds in general.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
What works for you now may be totally rejected when you gain a couple of years experience.
and that's why I suggest something cheap and suitable, even the Yamaha 4C which has been designed for its suitability for beginners, and save your perfection hunt for when the player is more perfect! :)

You, rather than the mouthpiece, are likely to be the limiting factor for quite a while.
And if you choose a mouthpiece in your present state of beginnerness, you may be choosing one that bandaids and disguises (to you) your improper embouchure/breath pressure, such that it is a handicap for your improvement.

I suggest you pukt your perfect mouthpiece fixation aside for a few years.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
What works for you now may be totally rejected when you gain a couple of years experience.
and that's why I suggest something cheap and suitable, even the Yamaha 4C which has been designed for its suitability for beginners, and save your perfection hunt for when the player is more perfect! :)

You, rather than the mouthpiece, are likely to be the limiting factor for quite a while.
And if you choose a mouthpiece in your present state of beginnerness, you may be choosing one that bandaids and disguises (to you) your improper embouchure/breath pressure, such that it is a handicap for your improvement.

I suggest you pukt your perfect mouthpiece fixation aside for a few years.
It's not a fixation and I'm not on the hunt for perfection.

Like I said, I'm working with people I trust and who have helped me find the right gear before. I'm not at a high enough level to concern myself with perfect mouthpieces. The fact is the stock mpc isn't worth a ****, so I'm just looking for something that works and will work for a while.

There have been a few suggestions, and I will try as many of them as possible. Simple as that.

I'm more concerned with any tips on how to find a good teacher and if there are any resources that might help with that search.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,443 Posts
I must come to Tyler's defense here. I don't see any FIXATION with a perfect mouthpiece in this thread. He wasn't even the first poster to bring it up. I think his replies have shown a huge amount of courtesy, patience, and understanding including just the opposite of a fixation. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
I'm more concerned with any tips on how to find a good teacher and if there are any resources that might help with that search.
Very wise. Can't help you there though because I don't know your area. I spotted your post because I just played in Alexandria, Egypt.
As for gear, there are many great and cheap clarinets out there. I used to play a Series 10 Selmer but now I only use a €45 plastic Bundy. No more worries about cracking and such.
Here's a clip: https://soundcloud.com/maartenornstein%2Fthe-mullingar-lea Good luck, clarinet is great fun :)

61 - 67 of 67 Posts