Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 30 years of just sax. May get a flute. Looking at Deford model 8b(sterling silver,b foot open hole),Selmer omega sterling silver(open hole,b foot) or a gemeinhart brio silver plated(open hole,b foot).

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Prices are 699 for deford cloeout WWBW. 850 for omega used USA horn and the brio is $995 from kessler. Since my youngest plays flute,sax,viola, and piano. Thought I might try something differant!!!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Budget is $1000 max if there are other suggestions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Get the DeFord. That is my main flute line and that price is good. These have a good scale and the headjoints are good. Much better than the other choices.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bruce!!!!!I ordered one from my buddy James Grondin at wwbw.com

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Received my 8b deford today. Looks perfect except headjoint is very slightly out of round at one point on the circle. It is at the very end where it goes onto flute body. Very slight depression. No dings,dents or nicks that I can find. Since I am just learning on headjoint,I will have the 9 year old daughter, who has played a year on a Yamaha 223, test it after school.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recommendation Bruce Bailey.My daughter likes the flute. Her teacher likes it also(cept for the fact it doesn't have gold springs). Her teacher will teach me once I get a consistent sound out of the headjoint

·
21,033 Posts
Those springs ar copper berylium and can be adjusted lighter to play more like gold. Great scale on them and the heavy body can be pushed to get a big sound.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Teacher was intersested in spring type. My tech after glancing at flute said stainless steel. I will tell my daughter's(and my future teacher) teacher that the springs are copper berylium.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still loving the Deford. I have one question. My daughter's teacher and my sister in law do not like the low end particurely the low C(harder to play). Wouldn't having a low B foot make for a easy low C??? Flute was to the tech and is as tight as a drum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
sycc said:
Still loving the Deford. I have one question. My daughter's teacher and my sister in law do not like the low end particurely the low C(harder to play). Wouldn't having a low B foot make for a easy low C??? Flute was to the tech and is as tight as a drum.

Harder to play? Come on'........Nobody can just pick a flute up and surmize the instrument unless ya play it a few hours.

LOW C IS PRETTY NICE........DeFords are cool doublers flutes too

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for your reponses Tim and Bruce!!!!!I'll get the tech to check the C#/C next time it's in the shop!!!I'm still learning(a painfully slow process) so I haven't played low notes on it yet. Heck I'm still playing the headjoint(too much ninoing and not enough flute LOL) but I'm in no hurry. I have trouble concentrating the air stream over the embouchure hole. My youngest uses it from time to time. She sounds great on it!!!!Her regular flute is a Yamaha silver plated 223.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tim,Happy to see you posted DeFords are good doublers flutes. Someday I would like to learn clarinet(would love a rosewood Bb soprano clarinet{and maybe a bass}that way I could play dinner shows etc(jobs that require flute and clarinet as well as sax). When I finally learn flute I can add some flute duets to our sax trio jobs. The little one already plays flute for one or two songs.

·
21,033 Posts
Also make sure the Eb key on the foot is not getting edged open while pressing low C. Sometimes that can be fixed by rotating the foot a bit to suit the player's hand position.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Low C is sensitive to any leaks and one of the more difficult notes to get a big sound. It's easier with a C foot. The extra tube length of the B foot increases acoustic resistance, which tames and slows the response somewhat. Conversely, the C foot usually gives a faster response and brighter tone. How much difference it makes varies from one flute to the next - almost nothing on some flutes, to quite noticeable on others. Which is better also depends on the flute and the head. With a really bright flute, the C foot is too much and the B foot helps tame it. If the flute is on the dead side, the C foot can liven it up.

Middle C# is always on the sharp side. No flute scale is perfect and this is a compromise made in virtually all flute scales. C# being a short tube note, is the easiest to bend in pitch.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow MRC01!!! Thanks for the info!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
On an open hole flute the right hand position is critical for low C#, C and B.
Make sure your right thumb is positioned in between the F and E tone holes, under the first trill key. If your thumb is not in this position, your 3rd finger (D) will be offset when you use your pinkie for the low notes, causing the D hole not to be covered properly.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks daigle65,With all this advice I will be a killer flutist in no time!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts