Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
No front F (fork F) key, so it's before 1926. Since it built w/out that key, and not the more desireable Series VI True Tone (just before the Aristocrat release), and it needs a rebuild, don't bid higher than $200 on it. In excellent shape it's only worth $850-$950 (dealer price).

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Agree with NissanVintageSax, although I might be a little more pessimistic. $150 tops.

Assume an additional $600 to put it in "excellent" shape, although it may be possible to get it in reasonable playing condition for less.

It's a nice old horn, 1923 vintage, but there's a zillion of them out there of this vintage, so they don't bring much on the market. As a private seller, you will not be able to get more than $400 or so for this horn if you're planning to fix it up and sell it in perfect playing condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Yes, it won't end high for sure. And it's a rehab horn all the way.

Unless you know how to do the work yourself, or have a great relationship with a local tech, do expect a tech bill to run about what Madden says...$500-600-ish.

I have one of these, two years older than this one... in lacquer, which I could sell to you for $575 - completely renovated and clean shape, playing up and down...with a nicely-added front F key to boot.

Oftentimes rather than asking "should I buy THIS horn ?", you can get further by posting a thread about what you are seeking and what your budget is.

You can bring in a nicely playing older (good to excellent) Buescher for anywhere from $400-800 or so, depending on the model, but all solid playing horns.....

Edit: Oops, I just saw you want it for a project horn to give a spin on restoring yourself. OK, it's a valid nominee, as long as you do not expect to be flipping it for any sorta profit. In which case, don't bid over $120 (I probably wouldn't bid over $105).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts