Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've updated my setup. I was thinking of ordering an RPC which they think could come close to Seamus Blake's sound. Now, I know that it will not make me exactly like him. But, I think with having a hand made piece it would come much closer than the mass produced counterparts. If anyone is wondering why I am coming to this conclusion after 10 years and no attempts at changing, Well Seamus simply wasn't known to me 10 years ago. Anyway, it sounds like a sound theory doesn't it?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
Anyway, it sounds like a sound theory doesn't it?
Although I don't think a mouthpiece is the best way to get closer to someone else's sound, including getting the exact same mouthpiece, I definitely think an RPC is a good idea (for anyone). The important thing is to spend the time talking to Ron about the sound you are aftert, Best of luck and say hi to Ron from me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is already in the plans. I wanted to try an RPC for a good while and now I have a good reason too. I think it would be good for me to mellow my tone a bit.I liked the bright edgy tone more when I was younger. Now I seemed to have moved past that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are high quality handcrafted mouthpieces.Your chances of getting apiece that will actually work for you is much higher than many others.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I've decided that I will get one. Now it's just a monetary issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
It's been a while since I've updated my setup. I was thinking of ordering an RPC which they think could come close to Seamus Blake's sound. Now, I know that it will not make me exactly like him. But, I think with having a hand made piece it would come much closer than the mass produced counterparts. If anyone is wondering why I am coming to this conclusion after 10 years and no attempts at changing, Well Seamus simply wasn't known to me 10 years ago. Anyway, it sounds like a sound theory doesn't it?
I haven't tried any RPC mouthpieces, and I don't know what Blake uses, but when I hear tracks like this, all I can think is Link, Link, Link. Have you ever played a properly faced Link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRiQ3Acw8zM&feature=related

Also, FWIW there are some Link-derived pieces from Saxscape going super cheap on Ebay these days. Could be worth a look-see?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
BTW. Got this from Seamus' website in the FAQ's:

"What kind of saxophone/mouth piece do you play/use?

I play a Selmer balanced action tenor and the mouth piece is a Reso Chamber ottolink seven star."

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,431 Posts
'Anyway, it sounds like a sound theory doesn't it?'

Clever.

Actually, those who say don't chase a guy's sound with mouthpieces are right. What you need is the mouthpiece for you, whatever that is. A good mouthpiece can do nearly anything, but obviously the type will have a great influence over what it can do best. The mouthpiece for you is the one that is flexible, plays easily, can whisper or scream and that allows you to more easily approach the sound in your head. Plus, in being flexible, it can accomodate your changing notions of the ideal sound. And, in the process, you may even start liking your own sound.
To change your sound, you have to get into a different mindset about what you expect to achieve. This means you mentally and physically play differently than before. If you want to sound like Blake, you have to play like Blake. You have to get into his head and find his mindset that causes him to play the way he does. This is expressed by the emotions you feel when you hear his playing. You then put yourself into that mode and play. So you can see that changing a mouthpiece basically does not accomplish the goal, and it may or may not help.
Another angle is, let's say you really try for a long time and are successful in playing and sounding like Blake - what have you accomplished? You have to be flexible in how you can play and sound, which is why you need flexibility in the mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
A modern Tone Edge Link would be a decent modern approximation of a Reso chamber. Check with Phil Engleman (Philtone) or the SOTW marketplace, where they turn up there from time to time. Having said that, RPCs are a very good all around mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
"rpc, rpc, rpc..."

Folks, "RPC" is a brand name, not a single design. Don't just buy an RPC because you hear that someone else has one - someone that may have an entirely different bag of experience, needs, and concept.

An RPC may translate to a large tip, high baffle, R&B blowin' screamer or it may be a more mellow .105 rollover. You need to know what you're looking for beyond the letters on the side of the mouthpiece (red or blue).

Might as well get a Selmer too.

"Which Selmer?" you ask.

'xactly.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Sounds like a waste of money but whatever

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Oh....so those those people who play on "others" are doing it wrong in your expert opinion? Sure, a RPC mouthpiece might be nice. But it is not going to ensure that you'd sound or play any better than if you played say a mass produced Otto link.

They are high quality handcrafted mouthpieces.Your chances of getting apiece that will actually work for you is much higher than many others.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts

·
1,376 Posts
In the last email I had with Seamus he told me his piece is a 6*. I think the tip broke off once and was fixed so it may have been opened at some point too. In Seamus' words, the piece is very fragile. The old Reso Chambers have deeper chambers than their Tone Edge brethren with a short flat baffle. Very dark. I've played a number of them and some of them and the consistency really varies but can be quite nice on livelier horns.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,737 Posts
Ron Coelho is one of many excellent mouthpiece makers and refacers out there. Many will be more than happy to customize a mouthpiece to your needs based on discussions with you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What Rackety Sax said is along the lines of what I was thinking. Bear in my mind I don't expect to sound exactly like Seamus nor would I want to. That would lack originality.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Back in "the Bezerklee days" when I knew Seamus there, he was playing on the same horn he still has now along with a metal STM. He then switched to a HR Link and pretty much sounded the same (great). Personally, I don't care who you are, I think in general terms you sound the same no matter what 'piece you play. Obviously, brightness/darkness will vary, but your basic sound concept stays the same and you end up adapting to whatever 'piece you play.
Good luck with your search!

John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts