Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. unison horn playing. gads! this makes my skin crawl and grates my nerves - like fingernails on a chalk board. i hear it seldom on modern recordings, but live performances always seem to incorporate it, especially at the heads. imho, this not only makes the sound incredibly annoying, but kills the phrasing dynamic (like a choir singing) and makes the melody very hard to 'hear'.

2. lame vocal melodies. jazz just doesn't seem to have vocalists that have pizazz. sure, maybe few and far between, but generally, the melodies ai hear are typically weak, weird, feminine, ... - they seem to be missing that lead, attention-keeping quality for me.

i know this is a matter of taste. just seeing what the opinions are. note that i'm not listing the things i DO like about jazz here.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
malcontent...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
How so much of it is safe - neither very creative nor very entertaining.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm happy without any jazz vocals. The music itself paints a clear enough picture for me.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Critics. (Unless it's me, of course)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,509 Posts
The fact that jazz musicians get the same pay as rappers who almost definitely have the same amount of talent. :twisted::evil:

·
Banned
593 Posts
i think ill share a friends description as close as i can remember.

musician one plays something.
musician two next to him says "hey, thats pretty cool, play it again"
musician one plays it again
musician three says "that was reaaly cool, play it a few more times"
musician one plays it a few more times
musician one says how about someone else?
repeat above sequence untill all the band members have played.
end tune.

·
Banned
593 Posts
i think ill share a friends description as close as i can remember.

musician one plays something.
musician two next to him says "hey, thats pretty cool, play it again"
musician one plays it again
musician three says "that was reaaly cool, play it a few more times"
musician one plays it a few more times
musician one says how about someone else?
repeat above sequence untill all the band members have played.
end tune.
Maybe he was listening to Kenny g where its just one player all the time.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Loud, squealing trumpets, especially in small group jazz (can handle it a little more in big band).

This is what my sister and others I know who don't care much for jazz (and no doubt a good % of the non-jazz-loving American public) don't like about it either.

But I think that's one of the reasons why Miles was so popular--he played with a mute! :bluewink:

No, seriously, I don't care much for trumpeters like Hubbard who always seemed to play loud and/or wild to the point of showing off or something. But I guess that's why they called it HARD Bop. :bluewink:

(But with that in mind, you can imagine how much I like "Latin Jazz.") :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
I don't like the fact that if you voice any negative opinion about any particular aspect of jazz, you will automatically be assaulted and told that you don't understand what you are listening to and are basically stupid and to be ignored.

I also don't like the fact that if you voice any positive opinion about any particular aspect of jazz, you will automatically be assaulted and told that you don't understand what you are listening to and are basically stupid and to be ignored.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I don't like the fact that if you voice any negative opinion about any particular aspect of jazz, you will automatically be assaulted and told that you don't understand what you are listening to and are basically stupid and to be ignored.

Especially if it's a negative comment about one of the many 'sacred cows' of jazz (Coltrane, Parker, many vintage horns, anybody who happens to be dead, etc. :bluewink:)

I also don't like the fact that if you voice any positive opinion about any particular aspect of jazz, you will automatically be assaulted and told that you don't understand what you are listening to and are basically stupid and to be ignored.
Especially if it's a modern horn from an unapproved locale or if the player is still alive and somewhat relevant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe a) that it doesn't really incorporate many instruments and b) it's often arranged in a boring way.

a) I really dig the sax of course, like the trumpet and all of its related instruments (especially the flügelhorn, never understood why more trumpeters don't play it, I've heard it's very draining to play but one tune shouldn't kill you), especially dig the trombone if it's used, standard drumkit, contrabass, guitar maybe and especially vibes (which is a bit underrated). However this familiar set-up can get a bit boring. I've heard some great oboe and cor anglais jazz, jazz on the french horn, bassoon, flute, bass clarinet, marimba, list goes on. Not that jazz can't be interesting without unusual instruments (not at all), for jazz anyway, and it's all about who's playing the instrument of course, but it kind of gets a bit stagnant after a while.

b) Hearing the same: head - soloist x ? - head reprise - coda format gets a bit old. Again I'd like to stress that of course it depends on who the player is. A great player can easily fill up all of the perceived "emptiness" in a tune and take it to some interesting places musically speaking. However I always found it a bit disappointing that bebop and "quintet-jazz" in general always had pretty boring arrangements. Usually it's just split up the head between the saxophone and trumpet an octave apart perhaps and then off to soloing. I like swing in this regard where it has backing voices even when there is a solo going on but it's not often used in bebop and what not I've found. Not to have too intrusive backing, just something to give the music a little more color and flesh it out a bit, at the very least the heads. It's not like quintet-sextet formats are rare in jazz, I've just found the arrangements are sometimes a bit boring.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
1.Tremendously steep learning curve for those uninitiated aspiring to perform the genre to a competent level.

2. Propensity for obnoxious repetition from the less creatively inspired and skilled. A problem that one can find with any music genre however, but particularly easy to discern in Jazz.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
If we are talking about jazz made before they taught it in colleges and was played by guys that never finished high school, then what's not to like? :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The smooth part.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well--since you asked...........

I'm not much of a jazz guy--no matter how much I tried---and believe me I did try. I'm not fond of jazz vocalists unless you want to count people like Louie Prima and a few others. My favorite jazz tune I've heard is James Carter doing 'Sack Full of Dreams', though when I heard it with a vocalist on another recording it was like listening to The Carpenters or something of that ilk. I'm especially negative towards fast blazing jazz solos that seem to have no purpose but to show how you can shred, though I feel the same about guitarists shredding too. Tunes with 20+ different chords are quite annoying to listen to as well. Music is to enjoy and shouldn't need a heavy dose of concentration when listening to it.

BUT---as you say....

i know this is a matter of taste. just seeing what the opinions are. note that i'm not listing the things i DO like about jazz here.
And yes--there are several things I like about jazz too.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts