Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some things I can practice/learn when I'm not playing my horn? I feel like I'm wasting so much time on the computer (I WOULD be on my horn, but its too late to play and it will 'disturb neighbors' as my parents would put it) when I could be learning or practicing something musically. Learning theory is the obvious thing but I don't want to just read and read and read and keep reading theory. Maybe just reciting all the scales in all keys in my head? Naming all the chord voicings? What else do you guys do when not with your instruments?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
www.earmaster.com : eartraining, perfectly done behind the computer.

naming the chords, going through the circle of fourths in your head, train to read notes, clap rythms (the stuff I'm horribly bad in, reading rythms), these things.

I use Sibelius to help me with that, and in the meantime I work on my own compositions.

Stuff enough to do when not playing :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Get a keyboard and develop some skills in that area. You could wear earphones and not disturb anyone.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
still practice your fingerings...just without playing...scales ...chords....even tunes...it helps the automatic reflex of knowing the notes,finger progressions.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Scat singing is always a good way to occupy yourself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sing what you would have wanted to practice. Or visualize yourself playing what you have practiced, fingering, phrasing, sound and all. This is not a new technique. The pianist Walter Gieseking learned most of his repertoire this way before even touching the keyboard. Glenn Gould would sit alone somewhere before a concert and play the entire performance in his mind this way. The imagination is the musicians most important tool.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts