Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) If it's a question, has it been asked before? Will a search reveal an answer?

2) Is it advice? Well then, how experienced are you? Is it a simple information request, or are you submitting an answer to a rather complex issue that you read a week ago from someone else when you had no idea what the problem was even about? Are you chiming in on a horn you've only read about, but answering as if you've played one for years? Are you the best one to offer such advice?

3) Is it interesting? I mean... are you just restating a previous post, or do you have something new to add to the discussion? If you're trying to be funny, will others even get it?

4) Is it nasty? Now some folks ask for it, but if you think someone will report you for your comment, you might want to come up with a better way of saying it. Plus, there are crazies online, and you never know how they're going to take it. And depending upon how much of yourself you reveal online, you might soon be getting phone calls... or worse.

5) Is it accurate? If you're giving information, remember you're creating a record. If you later realize you're wrong, swallow your pride and admit it. Special care also has to be taken when being critical of individuals and/or businesses. Truth is an absolute defense to defamation. Make certain you have your facts straight and can prove what you state.

Now I'm sure some folks may realize I've probably broken some of these rules on occasion, and I know others have posted their own rules, but these are the things I now consider prior to hitting the submit button and I just thought I'd pass it along.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
A general rule I attempt to follow wherever or whenever is this one: Only say it if it is true, if it is needed, and if it is kind. If it fails in any one area, don't say it!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Honeyboy said:
A general rule I attempt to follow wherever or whenever is this one: Only say it if it is true, if it is needed, and if it is kind. If it fails in any one area, don't say it!
Without wishing to be fractious, Honeyboy, since you're obviously a very nice chap, but with rules as tough as those I'm surprised you're ever able to say anything at all! ;)

·
26,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Grumps said:
Sorry, hadn't read it till now Gary, but if you read my last paragraph, maybe you wouldn't have had to hit the send button.

Mine's better anyway...
Whatever you do, people, no pictures of guns! The thought police will get you.

that's why my javelina is dead now

·
26,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, Gary and I have probably been inspired by some of the same events; particularly in regard to the inexperienced chiming in eager to give advice. Been bugging me a bit lately.

·
Banned
624 Posts
What submit button? You mean the one my mouse just clicked on? I didn't click on it... why does it matter anyway? Did I do something wrong? Why am I so misunderstood? How come everything I do is wrong? Why must I endure so much pain? This is all your fault, now why must I take the blame? Do you even care? Are you even listening to me? Anyway, I noticed you clicked on yours first. What kind of example are you setting? Do you think your submit button is better than mine? Where can I get one like yours? Does yours have feelings? Does it believe in "right and wrong"? Will it get mad if you click it when you're not supposed to? Do you like it when your submit button gets angry?

·
5,076 Posts
coolsax2k7 said:
What submit button? You mean the one my mouse just clicked on? I didn't click on it... why does it matter anyway? Did I do something wrong? Why am I so misunderstood? How come everything I do is wrong? Why must I endure so much pain? This is all your fault, now why must I take the blame? Do you even care? Are you even listening to me?

...Hmm?
Tom do this Tom do that
Tom, don't do that
count the cash, clean the oven
dump the trash oh your lovin
is a rare and a copacetic gift
and I'm a moonlight watchmanic
it's hard to be romantic
(sweeping up over by the
cigarette machine
sweeping up over by the cigarette machine...)
--Tom Waits

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Tom do this Tom do that
Tom, don't do that
count the cash, clean the oven
dump the trash oh your lovin
is a rare and a copacetic gift
and I'm a moonlight watchmanic
it's hard to be romantic
(sweeping up over by the
cigarette machine
sweeping up over by the cigarette machine...)
--Tom Waits
You didn't consider anything before you hit "that" button did you

·
5,076 Posts
Nefertiti said:
So if it's "true" does that mean you should hit the submit button regardless of the consequences?:cool:
Probably not. Does this mean the thought police are somewhere nearby?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Probably not. Does this mean the thought police are somewhere nearby?
I think you've been eclipsed, totally.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Grumps said:
Actually, Gary and I have probably been inspired by some of the same events; particularly in regard to the inexperienced chiming in eager to give advice. Been bugging me a bit lately.
:scratch: Being an inexperienced that gives advice when I think it might help, this makes me wonder how much I'm bugging people...

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Jolle said:
:scratch: Being an inexperienced that gives advice when I think it might help, this makes me wonder how much I'm bugging people...
I think it's a difficult line to draw, Jolle. I'm absolutely certain, however, that you wouldn't be bugging anyone. It seems to me that some of the most pig-headed arguments here can occur between people who have tremendous experience and large stores of knowledge. Of course sometimes someone will stick their oar in without thinking much and tread on the toes of someone that knows a lot better, but that's just the nature of the beast. Myself, I'm fully aware that there are those here who know a lot better than me about so many things and yet I'll still have the temerity to enter a debate with them if I think I've something to contribute. As a teacher, I know I always learn things back from the pupil. That would apply here too for all of us, I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,451 Posts
Whoa chill out brother..its a good job we don't think like that before we talk.
This should absolutley not be a sticky.

Oops, did I really press submit:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts