Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a son who was playing alto in middle school. More lackluster than anything else, he just couldn't connect with the instrument and the music in general. Never brought his instrument home to practice etc ... He wanted to move up to playing tenor in high school but the problem would have been the same. So I passed on my silver plated VITO to his mom last Christmas (heavily discounted) and he did not want to even take it to school but started practicing at home 2-3 hours a day (and yes, it is a beautiful instrument). So now he just started high school and and moved up to being the superstar in the high school band.

Smiles ...

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,840 Posts
Nothing better than to give to others.

This was a pleasure to read.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,221 Posts
Awesome!

When I saw the headline of the thread, I thought it would be people listing things that make them happy. Which, for me, might include nature hikes, Sichuan food, Japanese RPGs, and window shopping expensive microphones online for hours.

But your post is actually much better for the world. :) Well done!

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
449 Posts
I remember when I was in middle school a girl in our sax section had a silver plated horn. It was an older horn, and I never said anything but I thought it was weird and ugly. All the rest of us had regular gold lacquer; mine being the good ole Bundy II. I knew NOTHING about horns back then. For all I know, it could have been an old Mark VI, a 6M, or something great. I hope it was!

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,161 Posts
I remember when I was in middle school a girl in our sax section had a silver plated horn. It was an older horn, and I never said anything but I thought it was weird and ugly. All the rest of us had regular gold lacquer; mine being the good ole Bundy II. I knew NOTHING about horns back then. For all I know, it could have been an old Mark VI, a 6M, or something great. I hope it was!
I had a silver Buescher alto in junior high. Everyone else had shiny new lacquered brass horns. I was always a little self conscious about it even though I don't recall anyone ever saying anything about it. At that age you want so much to be like everybody else.

Could be the kid was afraid to be seen carrying the instrument back and forth because he thought it made him look like a band nerd. Kids that age are desperate to fit in. Good for You for helping the kid and his mom out.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sharing Musical ideas and instruments with musicians of different ages makes me very happy. Keeping musicians active in any way that I can is my favorite thing to do. Sharing my book and tips is a pleasure.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
Great story. Beautiful horn, and glad it is bringing joy to a younger player.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,442 Posts
Your thread title made me think of a nice big bowl of spumoni ice cream. I like your idea better.
Very kind and generous of you. Nothing like seeing someone enjoy a gift. It’s a great feeling.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,177 Posts
Beautiful horn and act of kindness! Good stuff!

Our first chair fellow trombone player in middle school had a silver horn I thought looked and sounded great! That kid was always spot on and helped keep me on track on my lowly Conn Director.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Awesome!

When I saw the headline of the thread, I thought it would be people listing things that make them happy. Which, for me, might include nature hikes, Sichuan food, Japanese RPGs, and window shopping expensive microphones online for hours.

But your post is actually much better for the world. :) Well done!
Japanese RPG's ?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I think the greatest part of that story is the kid turning things around and becoming enthused about playing the saxophone. A few years ago I sold a Conn New Wonder silver plated alto to young lady just starting college. She told me they didn't even have a music program where she was going but wanted to continue playing as she played all through high school. I thought it was wonderful that she still had a desire to play as a lot of kids give up after high school band is over. I wonder today if she is still playing? I hope she is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts