1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most definitely a fake. The logo/script is all off and the construction looks quite cheap...not to mention the low price. We probably have a few more threads on here about similar saxophones b/c a lot of companies have started to make knock-off selmers and sell them on ebay and the likes for a few hundred $.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Other than the simulacrum of the Selmer Paris logo, I see no evidence of any serious effort to make this instrument a passable counterfeit. Virtually every aspect of the design says "generic saxophone" rather than "Selmer Paris saxophone."

If you want to sample a $300 Asian soprano sax, I'm sure you can find one that doesn't try to leverage a phony trademark. The playing quality is probably hit or miss anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,359 Posts
Forget it… no white gloves.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
I wonder how it is possible that so many people post threads about obvious fakes, do you eveb think that anyone could buy and sell , at a profit, a saxophone made in Europe for a price like that?

How does it play is immaterial.

Importing , owning and even worse, re-selling, a counterfeit is illegal and could land you an hefty fine and even jail time (in principle).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Its kind of a badge of shame to wear a fake, which is counter to mosts' reason for owning a Selmer. But, you could buy one and play it out as a replica of your real SII that stays at home, if you're worried about it getting lifted or damaged. Its a crap shoot, but maybe spending some tech time might make one of these play good enough for that purpose. That would be explainable to a peer who might notice you have a fake in hand. Just looking for a valid reason for these to exist..

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
make sure that you put a sticker “ my other saxophone is a real Selmer”

It may even lay perfectly but a fake is a fake is a fake

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,244 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
Getting real for a moment here, the Chinese/Viet-Nam saxes generally can be made to play okay with a little tweaking. The horn in question is priced correctly. It being a half-baked 'replica' would be of no concern to me. There is no chance of any buyer of any replica being charged with anything - charges are reserved for the manufacturers, importers and retailers. There is, however, no point in buying a replica when you can get the same thing at the same price without the fake brand on it.
As far as Selmer or any other major manufacturer being concerned about such cases as this, they most likely go by 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' and raise their prices another $50.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts