Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Vandoren v16 A7M in December 2001, I've never liked it, and now I don't why I like it but I wonder if a small chamber instead of a medium one would be better.
Well, it is not perfect (the reed is a bit tired and I'm too laid-back on the head) but I really loved to do it.
All comments are welcome.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
About the mouthpiece. What do You like about it now that you didn't before? About your sound, what are you going for? What players sound do you aspire to?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About the mouthpiece. What do You like about it now that you didn't before? About your sound, what are you going for? What players sound do you aspire to?
Good question…

What I like now about it*:

- Good dynamics
- Free blowing
- Longer phrases can be played

What I disliked about it*:

- Its sound
- Lot of squeaks
- More difficult to play subtones

My main mouthpiece was or is an Otto Link STM 8*

I’m not very worried about the sound because I think, I can find in any mouthpieces the sound I am looking for.

As you know or don’t, the alto saxophone is my first instrument, I’ve played the tenor since 2011 and the alto since 1989-1990 (I’m so ashamed to play like this) and I wanted a tenor sound on the alto, the Otto Link helped me to play with a very open sound and nice subtones on the low registrer.
I’m pretty sure I can found this with the Vandoren.

What am I looking for*?

I cannot emulate someone because I’m not a very good player, I play the way I can but I really appreciate Jackie McLean, Paul Desmond, Lee Konitz, Charlie Parker… A 50’s 60’s sound.
I like the way Lee Konitz plays, I dislike or hate smooth jazz sound.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I cannot emulate someone because I’m not a very good player, I play the way I can but I really appreciate Jackie McLean, Paul Desmond, Lee Konitz, Charlie Parker… A 50’s 60’s sound.
I like the way Lee Konitz plays, I dislike or hate smooth jazz sound.
Nonsense, I've listened to your clips and you are not a bad player. When I'm talking about emulating someone I mean their sound or tone. The people you mention are all people I listen to as well, and like you I'm pretty much a straight ahead jazz guy. Although I also listen to older jazz as well, New Orleans style and swing bands.

If you were to pick a tone to aspire to, would you choose Jackie Mac, Phil Woods or Paul Desmond? What I used to do is put on a ballad by one of my favorite players and play along with them and try and match their sound. Eventually you develop your own sound based on that amalgam of players you've absorbed. But, you need to pick a sound concept before you go down the mouthpiece rabbit hole. Otherwise you'll have a bunch of mouthpieces with different properties that will make it more difficult to find a personal sound.

I have four different mouthpieces (all with similar properties) that I switch back and forth on. Other than subtle differences my sound really doesn't change. Keep in mind, I'm no expert, these are just my personal views. My feeling is, if someone has a bad tone no matter how much technique they have I just can't listen to them. Your tone isn't bad, but it seems to me you're not satisfied with it. Try my method I mentioned here and I'm sure it can help.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would pick Jackie McLean's !
I never said I was bad, I said I'm not very good.
My three mouthpieces are very different : Otto Link STM 8* - Vandoren A7 - Selmer S80 C**
I'm thinking I should buy new reeds, all my reeds are more than 14 years old.
Thanks for you comment.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,889 Posts
Don’t listen to me, I know nothing, but it sounds more like you are pointed in a Cannonball than a Jackie direction. I think start with a harder reed.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don’t listen to me, I know nothing, but it sounds more like you are pointed in a Cannonball than a Jackie direction. I think start with a harder reed.
I think you're right, not the thing you know nothing but about Adderley. I play 3 or 3,5 reeds. I think I need softer ones but not dead.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,889 Posts
Probably right, just need fresher reeds. You sound great but i get the ferling you’re playing against almost no resistance and having some control problems. You sound great though.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably right, just need fresher reeds. You sound great but i get the ferling you’re playing against almost no resistance and having some control problems. You sound great though.
Thanks... This is my answer. Otto Link STM 8* a bit more relaxed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts