Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
There's another tune available for you to hear in this same category. It's by Matt Otto. It incorporates all the advice I think you'd need to know. Listen to the way Matt sings through his horn. He's not just playing a bunch of "right choice notes" that are within the changes. Also listen to how easy and laid back he sounds and this feels. He makes it sound easy. A sure way to ID yournger striving playes is that they try too hard and try to make everying sound difficult.

What we can hear is that you both know how to play your horns. Now you need to try and say something that's more of an expression of YOU rather than a expression of what stage your technique is at. Technique is a tool, not an end goal.

Probably this seems like harsh criticism as you are playing very well and much better than I did at your age. Compliments may feel good, but challenges, especially ones that require a change of focus and growth, can be much more useful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I think you both use too much tongue. He has a better time feel but both of your solos sound choppy because you're too heavy with the tongue and at times sound like you're tonguing every note.

Your piano player looks like he's about to orgasm.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
You need to find something to do with yourself when you're not playing man. :mrgreen:

Although big guy sounds more advanced than you do, he gave me a headache. So many pseudo R'n'B Brecker-ish licks interjected at random and unjustified use of the altissimo range!! :evil:

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,797 Posts
There's another tune available for you to hear in this same category. It's by Matt Otto. It incorporates all the advice I think you'd need to know. Listen to the way Matt sings through his horn. He's not just playing a bunch of "right choice notes" that are within the changes. Also listen to how easy and laid back he sounds and this feels. He makes it sound easy. A sure way to ID yournger striving playes is that they try too hard and try to make everying sound difficult.

What we can hear is that you both know how to play your horns. Now you need to try and say something that's more of an expression of YOU rather than a expression of what stage your technique is at. Technique is a tool, not an end goal.

Probably this seems like harsh criticism as you are playing very well and much better than I did at your age. Compliments may feel good, but challenges, especially ones that require a change of focus and growth, can be much more useful.
What's the other tune in the same category by Matt you are talking about? You never say unless I'm just missing it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think you both use too much tongue. He has a better time feel but both of your solos sound choppy because you're too heavy with the tongue and at times sound like you're tonguing every note.
You guys sound great, but I agree with Agent27.

I'd also think about:
* time feel
* making melodies even it it means playing 1/2 the number of notes
* working on playing motifs. In other words, each line of your solo should be based on the line before it. Kind of like each line is riffing off of yourself. Miles Davis was a master at this.
* practice using dynamics and space to create some drama in your solos
* forget about all these rules, stare at the drum carpet, and let the music come out automatically without thought (tip by Pat Metheny)

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Great job guys. Some interesting ideas expressed in the solos. Really nice to see a group of young guys so serious about jazz. I'll only offer one thing that I got from a seminar I did with Dave Brubeck many years ago. He said that when he plays a solo he has a general rule of thumb in the back of his mind. About half the time he tries to tie what he's playing to the song, either melodically or rhythmically, so the listeners can follow and stays interested. The other half of the time he tries to surprise them with something unexpected.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
There is much good advice here, but you guys are certainly heading in the right direction. Are you taking all of these guys with to Loyola in the fall, John?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is much good advice here, but you guys are certainly heading in the right direction. Are you taking all of these guys with to Loyola in the fall, John?
The other tenor player is a Sophmore at Loyola actually. He's part of the reason I know about the school. Gonna miss the rest of these guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts