Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tool that was conceived and created in our shop when we bought out the inventory of another repair shop, and the employee moving the equipment and supplies dropped all of the pad containers and just picked up all the pads (unmarked) and put them in a grocery bag.

It is mostly for professional repair techs, but anyone who replaces pads might find it useful.

You can see it at Padsizetool.com

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,989 Posts
It's a cool little device...very elementary, really....especially when you really wanna get down to those .5mm differences....

But, my dime-store cm ruler works pretty well :TGNCHK:, too....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Neat idea john, but your charging way way to much, cut it in half and Im sure some people would buy them just for the heck of it.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neat idea john, but your charging way way to much, cut it in half and Im sure some people would buy them just for the heck of it.
Thanks Simso. I'm just glad we are not marketing them in Australia based on what you said. Anyway the shipping would probably be prohibitive anyway no matter what the price was down there.

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Anyway the shipping would probably be prohibitive anyway no matter what the price was down there.
John
Agreed shipping is the killer for anything out of the USA. USPS are just getting ridiculous.

Simple enough to draw up, 10-15 minutes but like you mention its a case of the plans have been out there for a few years for free now, who to date has bothered getting around to making it. Having it all ready made, may encourage some to purchse and own.

Good luck with the enterprise

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
In the link I could not see a price, nor even an opportunity to purchase. Was I missing something.

Great idea, John. When I spill mine, I spread them out on a surface and trawl around with a caliper to catch progressively smaller sizes.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would this new tool work for measuring old pads pried off a sax needing an overhaul?
Absolutely, provided that the old pad was the correct fit to begin with. I use mine a lot when I have to replace one or more of the stack key pads and there is not time to remove the keys because it is a rush job or an emergency repair. You just drop the old pad into the tool, find the replacement size, and then install the new pad.

John

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
This could be very easily cut and engraved in plastic or in wood on a laser engraver. It would completely eliminate the cost of the polished aluminum and the laminated disc chart.
Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,843 Posts
Very good idea, worth a lot to repairmen who grab a lot of pads. Still, almost $46.00 shipped is more than a lot. Popular opinion is that $29.95 shipped is the price at which most people are ready to jump (From an article on Ronco TV products).

Perhaps some price adjusting might help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,604 Posts
Maybe include a couple of ShamWows. But wait, thats not all! If you order within the next 30 minutes....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
This is clever because its simple. Just yesterday I finally sorted through a ton of unmarked extras, calipered them, and filed them properly. Tedious. Very nice innovation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
I hear you, but who am I to judge the price he wants to charge? If he can sell 'em for $45, god bless, enjoy. He's made a nice looking product, certainly a bit of development costs -- both in terms of time and design -- to recoup.

If they're not selling at the rate he needs, he can always reduce it, throw 'em on ebay, etc. If he's selling enough to keep his staff busy and his checkbook happy, carry on, carry on. If I had a bunch more loose pads to sort, I'd be tempted.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The development of this idea started over 2 1/2 years ago. Many. many hours have been spent trying different layouts and materials and different ways of assembly. Dozens of prototypes have been made and given away at conventions. All of this took place before the first one was made with the idea of selling them on the market.

It seems like a simple tool and it is, but those questioning the price need to realize that the various materials need to be ordered, cut to size, deburred, drilled, sanded, polished, printed, laminated, glued, trimmed, riveted, assembled, boxed, labeled, and shipped. All of this is done by hand making the simple tool very labor intensive.

My partner and I who are making the product are full time repair techs and so all of this is done before and after work and on days off. Anyone can make their own, it is not rocket science. But they will probably spend up to $20 on materials and take 4 hours or more to make one that looks good and works to their satisfaction.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm whining about the work 'cause I'm not. I just want to present the other side of the discussion about the asking price. One thing is sure, I have developed a greater appreciation for the Chinese laborer in the factory assembly line doing the same task over and over for hours at a time. I am grateful my experience has a beginning, middle, and end rather than be extend for a lifetime.

John

1 - 20 of 38 Posts