1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I really don't understand why this type of tone is considered the greatest soprano tone...don't get me wrong clip #2 sounds awesome....however to me this is a screechy woody tone...JUST LIKE steve lacy,john coltrane...wayne....now these seem to be the top names in soprano....but I much prefer the tone of our modern jazzmen,and my colleages who have a more round sound....anyone heard Anders Paulson?? now that's a beautiful soprano sound..... I'm truly asking this question so that someone can educate me as to what is so desirable about that sound what i love so much about the Wanne Gaia is the beauty of the sound whilst be so powerful at the same time... heck I was just watching Miles in Montreal...Bob Berg with a dukoff ,playing loud as heck still has a more pleasent(to me) tone than the names i mentioned above .... remember folks I'm referring to tone here,not musicianship

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
How can you be sure that he was really playing Theo's pieces? Not criticizing, just curious ...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think that Jan's tone can be referred to as "this type of tone," as his is such a unique sound...I believe what people love about his sound is it's purity and flexibility to enable a certain expressiveness that is uniquely his. Don't get me wrong, his is not my favorite soprano sound either, but I think this is what others hear in his playing that moves them. His sound is so inextricably linked to WHAT he plays...it really is a pure form of expression, unhindered by the technicalities of the instrument. If you are not moved by his sound, it does not mean you are less educated, it just means that it ain't your thing. And there's nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Jlima,
it´s true what you say,how do we know?
He´s Wanne endoser so we automatically think that he uses Wanne mouthpieces but I can´t tell if that is a Wanne...

Sirspinbad,
Good question...
I think it´s matter of taste (again...)...nowadays you hear more players who have this more "wooden",dryish,sound.
This sound suits his (Garbarek) music perfectly,IMO.
How should a sopranosax sound??...that´s a question I´ve been thinking alot... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
......I always dug Jan's sound. On soprano and tenor. It seems to be perfect for the ideas and shapes he plays and hears.

Just in knowing how serious Jan is, how dedicated he is to WHAT HE SAIS...I doubt if he would endorse something then not use it. In hearing that sound on tenor, I'd put cash on that it's the Wanne.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I dug both clips...dug the tenor sound bit more but the soprano tone was also superb...focused, powerful, in tune, resonant and full...Almost sounded like the Datta tenor piece... which Theo piece is he playing on Tenor?

R

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
....just reiterating...I'm in NO WAY saying anything bad about the musicians mentioned....I'm just curious as to why they are the names always associated with "the sound" on soprano....as dexter and getz are to tenor

·
Registered
126 Posts
....just reiterating...I'm in NO WAY saying anything bad about the musicians mentioned....I'm just curious as to why they are the names always associated with "the sound" on soprano....as dexter and getz are to tenor
I think it's probably because they are among the small number of saxophonists who play (or at one time played) soprano as their primary instrument. In Coltrane's case, he re-popularized the instrument after a long period of relative obscurity, and in doing so, re-invented the instrument as it was played in jazz. To a lot of players, Coltrane WAS the soprano saxophone as it was mean to sound....IMHO, a great example of a big, full soprano sound is Joe Lovano on the live Quartets album on Blue Note. Just a random example off the top of my head...

·
2,309 Posts
I'm just happy a player has found mouthpieces he likes! Personally I've tried several of Wanne's pieces, mostly tenor and did not care for any of them.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
I dig his skill, thoughts, ideas and how he is able to shape each note. Very talented player.

I know sound is a very personal thing, but I have never understood why people spend thousands of dollars on gear to sound like a kazoo! :yikes!:

Putting on hard hat and bulletproof jacket now...:popcorn:

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I think Jan sounds like Jan no matter what gear he plays!

It ain't the mouthpiece!!!
That's right. I find that especially true for soprano. We all know (I think) that most of the sound production qualities come from the player, for some reason on soprano the player's input to the sound quality equation seems to be higher on soprano than it is on the larger instruments.

However, to set the record straight, Jan has been playing Pillinger mouthpieces on soprano lately. He has a 1.50mm and 1.60mm.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
However, to set the record straight, Jan has been playing Pillinger mouthpieces on soprano lately. He has a .150mm and .160mm.
:shock: You're talking about the size of the bore, right?!

·
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Garbarek played Wanne Mouthpieces on both tenor and soprano yesterday, no doubt. I saw it clearly many times in the two large video screens that showed many close ups of the musicians.

Yes, Garbarek sounded as Garbarek. Fortunately! When it comes to equipment, I gess he also are looking for stuff that makes it easy to sound like he will sound, the unique sound he has sought throughout his career. Last I heard him live was in 2007. Then he played a Theo Wanne modified Otto Link on tenor.

The videos are shot with a Nokia N8 phone, so the sound quality is not very good. I thought the soprano sounded perhaps a little brigther than before, while the tenor sounded darker especially in the lower octaves.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.