Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to start off by saying sorry if this is in the wrong subforum. Anyway.
I got a horn, I am having playing down low. I am talking one huge breath of air, before I play, and I may get the note out. Where would the leak be on the horn? And what can I do to fix it myself?

Thanks
~Carbs

·
Registered
841 Posts
if it is only one leak, check the palms and side keys, but chances are there is more then one if you can only get the note out sometimes. If you want to check the horn yourself get something like this,

http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/tool-lt100.html

I bought mine at Lowes, though I've seen them around a lot of places. Get something like that, find the leaks, let us know where they are at, then we can help you fix them.

-Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,299 Posts
Low-end problems are often caused by hi-end leaks, but there is no accounting for all the leaks that may affect your playing. It could be a leaking pad(s) or some mechanical malfunction allowing some pad to rise up ever so slightly. You just have to check every pad, top to bottom, including the octave vents. DAVE

·
Registered
552 Posts
check the palm keys -pay special attention to the "E" and "F" palm keys also check the front F key and make sure there are no dents in or around the tone holes also check the pads .

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I can determine no leaks. Leaklight in a dark bathroom. I can not see and dents in the E and F palm keys and I don't see any dents near any of the tone holes.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,215 Posts
What horn? What notes in particular? (i.e. won't play below low D)

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually it wont play below low C. My Martin. If I can get this figured out I probably wont sell it. But its just bugging me. I put it away for a few weeks, and got it out today to play it. Same problem it had before. *shakes head* Up for sale if you want it. I will give you a special deal if it sells today.

·
Registered
841 Posts
A few things:

Make sure the fork/front F key isn't holdind the palm F key open, I've seen this a few times.

Make sure the G# articulation screw isn't over adjusted, that is the screw that closes the G# when any of the right hand keys (F - D) are pushed down. If this screw is over adjusted it will keep the F# key (key between F and G#) from closing completely. Likewise, if you are having issues with low C# through low Bb, this screw may be under adjusted and not closing the G# completely.

If you have a good eye you can spot some regualtio issues without a leak light. Find a key that pushes down another at the same time, F for example, and push it down. Do the two pads hit the toneholes at exactly the same time, or does one hit before the other? Ok ok, you need a leak light to tell exactly, but you can eyeball it and get a general sence of the shape of the adjustments.

The pads are a completely different thing, however. What shape are they in? What color? Are they soft to the touch? Soft, orange pads can be tweaked really well, but older/darker/dried out pads and be more of a pain.

Is the neck sealing properly? A good sign that it is (though no guarentee that it is) is that once the screw is tightened the neck doesn't move.

These are all things that should be taken under consideration...

Good luck!
-Scott

·
Registered
841 Posts
Alright, ignore most of my post, started it before your last reply. If everything below low C is bothering you, check the G# articulation adjuster. Finger a D, push the G# key, and look at the pad when you push the key. Does it open up?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure the fork/front F key isn't holdind the palm F key open, I've seen this a few times.
Nope that is working fine
[Is the neck sealing properly? A good sign that it is (though no guarentee that it is) is that once the screw is tightened the neck doesn't move. /QUOTE]
Neck doesn't move at all.

I did the suggestion about the two keys moving at the same time. The A key, is not moving down all the way. That couldn't be the problem with playing down low could it? How do you fix it if it is?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Carbs said:
I did the suggestion about the two keys moving at the same time. The A key, is not moving down all the way. That couldn't be the problem with playing down low could it?
Any leak will affect every note below that leak. A leak in the A key will definately mess with the lower register. So before I give any instructions, just to be clear, the bis pad is closing before the A pad?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ok, that bis key adjustment won't affect the lower register, but the G# will. Does your Martin have an adjustment screw above the G# or just a piece of cork that closes it? If a cork, glue in a thicker piece of cork and sand it down (if you have cork). If you don't have cork, make the piece that is there a little thicker by putting payers of tape or gluing layers of paper to it until the G# and F# close at the same time. If there is an adjustment screw there instread, just give it a slight turn until they both seal at the same time.

It's the same thing to fix the bis adjustment, that will make your 1 and 1 Bb fingering sound better.

-Scott

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Scott.
I can hit B. What do I need to tighten to hit Low Bflat. Also the cork needs to be replaced on that one note.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I can't say for sure without seeing the horn in person, only other advice I can give is to look down the bell and make sure the low B and Bb are closing at the same time, that and have the horn looked over by a tech in your area. For leaks, yes, but more specifically have him look for tonehole leaks. Martin Saxophones have soldered on toneholes which can be a thorn in the side if they aren'y sealing properly. Soldered tonehole leaks sometimes can't be detected by a leak light, so take it to someone that can look the horn over and really knows what he is doing.

Just for future referance, this would be better off in the repair subfourms.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts