Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Rampone Cazzani R1 Jazz Gold Plated Alto
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was checking all the forums for the Theo Wanne Water mouthpiece. To my shock I did not see a review for this mouthpiece. I am not sure why but maybe there is a classical player that can tell me why.
I just purchased one in order to develop classical chops. I play jazz/R&B/rock etc on alto with a Metal Durga 4 size 7. This mouthpiece switch seemed to very comfortable to be honest. It was cool to play and very easy adjustment especially piece is very slim.
Any insights from a classical player?

Registered
Hmm, I had to look it up. I've had a few of his tenor pieces but I'm not very familiar with his alto ones. It seems this model was released in 2019 but is already not longer offered on his website !?

A little more digging: this recent review claims there is an update of this mouthpiece about to be released for $99. One shall see... Review: Theo Wanne Water MP For Alto Sax | The Bassic Sax Blog

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I did see that it was not offered. I saw some other internet post for 2021 saying that he was planning to release a more affordable version for $99, a price for students. I don鈥檛 know how true that is. But it comes a very nice piece.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing that I noticed was that my Water mouthpiece is a slender hard rubber mouthpiece similar to the latest Theo Wanne hard rubber mouthpieces. That also makes the switch from my metal piece pretty fluid. It also comes with a simple single screw gold ligature which seems to be sturdy enough. A nice player overall. I鈥檒l be searching for the best reed setup. I play tested with D鈥橝darrio Jazz Selects 3 soft which seemed to be fine but I think the tip was slightly too soft. The low notes sounded nice and full though.

Registered
Conn 26M, Burnin' 6, Legere American Cut 2.25
I've only ever seen one review for it. Saxlogic had a video up reviewing Theo pieces for like, 2 days and then he took it down. He didn't think any of them were bad, but he also didn't really like any of them, including the Water. It's never said explicitly, but it sure seems like he was asked to take it down due to the lukewarm response.

I also prefer a slim profile with a thin beak (I play a Durga 3) and I actually think it's because I learned originally on an S80 C* which, though hard rubber, is pretty slim in the mouth. So if you end up not liking the Water, maybe you should try some of the Selmer classical pieces to get that similar mouth feel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only ever seen one review for it. Saxlogic had a video up reviewing Theo pieces for like, 2 days and then he took it down. He didn't think any of them were bad, but he also didn't really like any of them, including the Water. It's never said explicitly, but it sure seems like he was asked to take it down due to the lukewarm response.

I also prefer a slim profile with a thin beak (I play a Durga 3) and I actually think it's because I learned originally on an S80 C* which, though hard rubber, is pretty slim in the mouth. So if you end up not liking the Water, maybe you should try some of the Selmer classical pieces to get that similar mouth feel.
It was interesting seeing the other video reviews on YouTube but their pieces seemed definitely fatter like the older generation TW. All in all I actually love the ease of play on it with the tone. Solid piece in the legacy of TW.

Registered
I have one sitting on my desk to review. I was surprised Theo sent me a 3 tip opening. Seems pretty extreme. I haven't played a classical piece in like 30 years........
the review I linked to above also reviewed a #3 opening. when you click on the link from that review, it takes you to Theo's mostly broken link to the original page. on that page, the drop-down options only show opening #3 as well. maybe that was closest to the 'standard' C, C* selmer opening, kind of the baseline opening for this model?

Registered
That review also quotes the original description as saying this mouthpiece only comes in a #3 opening.

Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
Saxlogic had a video up reviewing Theo pieces for like, 2 days and then he took it down. He didn't think any of them were bad, but he also didn't really like any of them, including the Water. It's never said explicitly, but it sure seems like he was asked to take it down due to the lukewarm response.
This is unfortunate and, I think, does a real disservice to the community.

Some people will like some mouthpieces and others won't, it's just the nature of the beast. However, I think YouTube mouthpiece reviews, generally, would be much more credible if they included more varied assessments and nuanced critiques. When your review of every mouthpiece is glowing, fawning praise, it arouses skepticism.

Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
New review posted of the Theo Wanne WATER classical alto saxophone mouthpiece. Hopefully, I won't get dragged over the coals by the classical saxophone elite out there, but I attempted to play almost all classical saxophone segments on this review. This is an absolutely great classical alto saxophone mouthpiece that is dark, warm and light while being incredibly even and focused throughout the range of the saxophone. I loved it! Check out the full review and sound clips at the link below.

Theo Wanne Water Classical Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece Review

Registered
Alto
I've always been a classical alto player. I got the first gen Water Alto piece. I love how warm the tone is even in the high range. I was excited when the new Water 2 came out. Due to it being slim like a Jazz piece. It's noticeably jazzy, brighter, and rougher sounding. Not my cup of tea. It sits in my case as a back up for emergencies. 馃槄

1 - 15 of 15 Posts