Sax on the Web Forum banner

Shakti Vs YAS-62

• Theo Wanne Shakti

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have tried both of these horns, what's the difference? I've played in a YAS-62 before and have no issues with the horn, but I'm curious about this new Theo Wanne Shakti horn. Is it just a basic gimmick horn? I'd rather not waste my money trying to get this horn if it's all talk with no bite. I'm a jazz player just so you know.

Registered
I'm going with the 62. It's difficult to compare such an iconic saxophone which is consistently used by pros to something new and relatively unknown. If I had $2000 to spend I would still take a used 62 over a new Shakti becuase I don't have to be convinced of the 62's quality nor will any of my teachers or directors. But if you try the Shakti and it turns out to be the best match for you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Registered
Play neither one. But IMHO they are not in the same league. Theo Wanne mouthpieces are really top notch, but I think their brand saxophone are probably made in Taiwan/China. The TW Shakti is also significantly cheaper than YAS-62. Go for YAS-62 for sure. Another good option would be Yany AWO1. These are really Pro horns and every penny you spent on them are worth it.

Registered
I haven't tried the Shakti alto, but I did recently get the chance to try the Narayan tenor, and I wasn't that impressed. It looks nice and plays ok, but I wasn't thrilled with the ergonomics, especially the pearls, which are convex, making the horn feel bigger than it really is. It's also an unknown quantity, so I don't know how well it lasts. The 62 has much better ergos and has been a decades-long reputation as a solid, well-built, ultra-reliable workhorse. It's not my favorite Yamaha, but it won't let you down. The Shakti may very well be a great horn, but I wouldn't buy a brand new, untested Taiwanese-made boutique horn sight unseen. If you can try them at a shop before you buy, that might be a different story, but if you're ordering something online that you can't play first, go with the tried-and-true option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts