Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a metal Brahma 7* used from the Marketplace a few weeks ago. I figured I would say a few words about it, but I also have a question or two.

Impressions:

- Extremely easy to play. I was playing ZZ 2.5 on my Warburton-modded Link and those are like playing paper on the Brahma. I moved up to ZZ 3 but I'm beginning to think that even these may be a bit too soft...

- Tonally it's medium-bright, or at least a bit brighter than the Link. Probably on par with the Barone Jazz I had as far as "brightness" goes. Not spread at all, focused, great core. Subtones easily. I'm not a big altissimo guy, but it's as easy to get to as any other piece I've had. Even scale from top to bottom, does not thin out up top a bit. HUGE SOUND, great projection.

Questions:

- Regarding the ease of playing, anyone else run into this as well? Having to move up reed strengths immediately, I mean. Anything I should be concerned or aware of? I think I may go try some ZZ 3.5 soon to see if I can get a little tiny bit of resistance.

- What could I expect from the Pro Line that I don't get from the Performance Line? I mean, this is a heck of a mouthpiece as is, so I wonder what $200 more gets me...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Moving in reed size is usually in direct relation to changing tip openings/ feel of the piece. A piece with more or less backpressure than you're used to or wider opening can make you need to change reed sizes.

Personally, when I got my Durga 9 for tenor, I went down in reed size, as my previous tip opening was closer to that of the 7* or 8. Then I swapped the Legere Studios for Legere Signatures and worked my emborchure back up to #3 reeds.

Try using the Legere Signature 2.75 reeds on your Wanne. It will really open up! Rather than spending all that scratch on a similar piece, the reed can make a world of difference.'I also recommend trying the stainless steel pressure plate for a great rock tone!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've been playing my Brahma for about two months and it's amazing. I went from an Link STM NY 8 to Brahma 8 (hr). I had the same experience, so easy to play and what a big great sound I get from it.

·
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tip openings of the Link and Brahma are the same, but perhaps there's a tad more baffle on the Brahma so maybe that's why? Dunno. It came with another pressure plate which I have not tried yet.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The other plate is the copper, which deadens overtones and plays much darker that the gold one it came installed with.

·
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to look at them closer... the person I bought it from could have changed the plates out, or not, so I have no idea which one is on there right now.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'll have to look at them closer... the person I bought it from could have changed the plates out, or not, so I have no idea which one is on there right now.
If he gave you the correct two, their color should be close. The way to tell is by holding the two side by side, edge-to-edge; the thicker is copper. The thinner is "Alive Gold".

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have both a Durga 9 and a DATTA (metal) 8. Both are very easy to play. There seems to be a link between the two mpcs because they have a similar sound and when pushed can take a ton of air before they start to break up. The Durga does have a darker and bigger sound but that can be attributed to the design more so than the cost difference.

I've been using Bari brand synthetic reeds for years and they work very well on both the Durga and DATTA.

·
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm maybe it's the ZZ then? What is everyone using on their Wanne pieces?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I primarily use Java 3 (green box), after that: Harry Hartman fiber reeds (MH), and I've also used Fibracell Premier as well. I just ordered a Legere signature to try out...we'll see how that one fits for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
I'm using a Legere Signature on my alto, and it works well for me, with the copper plate and the lig in the second slot from the tip.
However the Durga's rails are VERY narrow and most reeds have to be placed with exquisite accuracy in order to avoid gaps and squeeks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts