Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience playing either Ted Klum's "New York model Alto handcrafted HR" and/ or Theo Wanne's "New York Bros 2"?

I recently played the"holy Grail" vintage Meyers bro 5, .072, but actually didn't like it at all. I felt like .072 was way too closed for my liking.
I do dig the Phil woods-cannonball sound concept, but I'm not thrilled with my current modern day Meyer 7.
I'm basically just checking out various NY replicas to see what else is out there.

What were your thoughts on either piece?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,702 Posts
For your consideration consider my Custom Meyer.

You can get what you are looking for with a rebuild (not just a reface) of the piece you already paid for and spend a whole lot less.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

You can get what you are looking for with a rebuild (not just a reface) of the piece you already paid for and spend a whole lot less.
^^ This. I've played the Klum and the Wanne NY Bros (#1, I guess - didn't realize there's a "2" now), and Phil's "Custom Meyer" easily beat both of them in terms of ease of play and authenticity of that "NY Meyer" sound. It got me the closer to that early Phil Woods sound than any piece in the Meyer vein that I've tried (and I've tried most). Definitely encourage you to give the "Custom Meyer" some serious thought - it'll probably save you some pennies, too.

Note: not a paid endorser, just a fan of quality work that lives-up to expectations.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Definitely would recommend going this route if you already have a Meyer that you're not pleased with. It will save you a ton of money and if heard nothing but positive feedback about Phil's work. I'm also a HUGE fan of Ted's work and his NY Model is incredible to play as well.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
OP: I"d also be interested in hearing a side by side comparison of these two! (If any youtubers out there are reading -) )

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
IMO the Klum is far superior to anything else mentioned here so far. I'd also recommend a 10mfan Daddy-O if you're looking for a versatile piece that can do Cannonball; I personally found it to have more depth and richness than the Klum. All IMO, YMMV.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I recently played a friend’s marbled Klum NY and it really clicked for me, so much so that I ordered one! Just felt like the right fit for me plus I felt it had an added intangible thing about it I didn’t get with any of the other pieces I’ve tried. But I’ve had the daddy o and it was really nice, also just tried a Morgan Excalibur NY that was also really nice. I didn’t care for the Wanne ny bro’s as much though. The Gaia was a better comparison to me.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I recently played a friend’s marbled Klum NY and it really clicked for me, so much so that I ordered one! Just felt like the right fit for me plus I felt it had an added intangible thing about it I didn’t get with any of the other pieces I’ve tried. But I’ve had the daddy o and it was really nice, also just tried a Morgan Excalibur NY that was also really nice. I didn’t care for the Wanne ny bro’s as much though. The Gaia was a better comparison to me.
cool what horn and tip size klum ny did you try? reed strength?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I played all these on my Mark vi 147,xxx era. The Klum is a 6 as were the others when I tried them, although the Gaia (2) I tried was a 7. Daddyo I had briefly was a 6 also, Morgan Excalibur too. Reeds I tried were middle of the road, either lavoz medium or rigotti 3 light.

I used to play more open tips on alto but I never felt like I was getting as big of a core sound so I have settled on 6’s as I feel more comfortable at that opening. Kind of did the same on tenor, used to play .110-.115 openings with softer reeds but currently playing a .105 with med lavoz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts