Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
just curious has any one tried the Theo Wanne Narayan Alto yet, and what sax do they compare too.
interested in that they come with 2 necks ....1 of which is Titanium..

Tried an JK MKX but Ergos are way off for me, nice enough tone, But I wasn't comfortable....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guessing they'r that new on the market, nobody has brought one....

OK So I have Narayan Alto coming on trial for up to 30 days.....

But the JK MKX has to go back first of all. DHL pick up Today.... I really wanted to like this Horn but sadly It didn't fall to hand as I expected .
Swapping back and forth between my SA80 and the Keilwerth proved how unnatural the keys felt ,It may be just right for other players but not me.

The information I have on the Natayan is that they are built in the USA ,so could they be a Cannonball Hybrid or made under Licence as it's a small range of Saxophones.
I'm thinking Body from Taiwan and Key work assembly In the USA....just an educated guess.
I see Keith McKelley looks like He's endorsing Theo Wanne Sax's

If any one out there can give me a Heads up on this Sax please do.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Guessing they'r that new on the market, nobody has brought one....

OK So I have Narayan Alto coming on trial for up to 30 days.....

But the JK MKX has to go back first of all. DHL pick up Today.... I really wanted to like this Horn but sadly It didn't fall to hand as I expected .
Swapping back and forth between my SA80 and the Keilwerth proved how unnatural the keys felt ,It may be just right for other players but not me.

The information I have on the Natayan is that they are built in the USA ,so could they be a Cannonball Hybrid or made under Licence as it's a small range of Saxophones.
I'm thinking Body from Taiwan and Key work assembly In the USA....just an educated guess.
I see Keith McKelley looks like He's endorsing Theo Wanne Sax's

If any one out there can give me a Heads up on this Sax please do.
I don't think they have any association with Cannonball. Cannonballs are made in Taiwan and shipped to Cannonball in Salt Lake for final adjustments and distribution.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok was just a guess,thanks for the info. Has anyone put their hands on one yet......I'm guessing not from the response.

I will try and give an opinion when I get one on trial .
Apparently Theo Wanne say these Narayan Saxs are being built in Limited numbers and for a Limited period.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Can I ask why you're looking to try the Narayan? It really sounds to me like it would be a PIA to get it shipped to you and if you don't like it you have the hassle of returning it. I see you're in Birmingham, a couple hours from London. I would go to Sax UK and try a bunch of horns. Seems to me you're doing it the hard way.

https://www.sax.co.uk/

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I phoned Sax .co.uk and although they have it listed there isn't one in stock ...and neither is there one at the Sussex branch.
so the only one in the UK is the 1 in stock at Gear 4 Music It's not the best solution but I figured I get a 30 day return to try the horn.
and without the expense of a trip down to London £££
Next delivery for a Narayan sax into the UK is Mid /late March 2020 at Both Sax.co or Gear 4 music.. same shipment...
My dealings with Gear 4 Music so far have been 5*

I have tried a P.Mauriat 67 , Yani W01, JK MKX, walstien bauhaus M2.....and came away with mixed feelings on all of those Sax's. Either poor Ergos ,Build quality, or simply the Tone wasn't to my taste.
and yes I could find the same with the TW Narayan Sax ....But I can return it....If that's the case...then I will take a day out down London and try a few different Sax's out.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK the TW Narayan Alto arrived Christmas Eve ,it should of arrived Monday 23rd so I've have had very little time to play...straight off the sax has 2 necks which arrived well packaged and in a very nice looking case, although I looked at the clasps on the case and wondered how well they will take the test of time.
After unpacking the horn and freeing cork and polystyrene wedges and on careful examination there are a few area,s around 1 or 2 pillar post to body that show the missing "Vintified Matt Black finish" with a little brass showing through...
but not a deal breaker in my book.
The Horn looks Fantastic , getting a WOW of the wife and grown up kids ....the Action like most modern horns is heavily sprung ,making the Action respond fast but heavy, there's a slight inconsistency in the weight of the action LH being a little over sprung and very much on the LH pinky table ....I guess it needs setting up at the Tech's to resolve these "small problems"..... my SA80 feels lighter in the action all over the Horn
The "Titanium Neck" however will need adjusting as the octave Key on the crook won't sit fully closed ... there's no such problem with the standard Neck...

I have had little more than an Hour to Blow the sax, But boy is it Loud and in your face Christ knows what It'll sound like when I can play the "titanium neck"
The other thing that was apparent was how much better the intonation is compared to my 40yr old SA 80, that was quite a shock.

The Narayan Is not a laid back kinda Sax ,it hasn't that Sweetness in the tone that a Selmer Has, more of a Contemporary sounding horn but with a gritty full sound ,a little on the bright side ,But Not Bland sounding and there's a nice core to the sound.
These are my first impressions from 1 hours playing on Christmas Day ....I will up date after a week or so of playing ,But I like the horn ,a lot ,so at this moment I guess it's a keeper.
I was looking for something different sound wise to my SA80 ,more for RnB Funk playing ,I think I've found It!
The mouthpiece played was my trusted Phil Tone Rift and either ZZ 2 1/2 (best sound) or 2H D'Addario select Jazz (Need to sort a few Better reeds out)
Seasonal Greetings to one and all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so I,ve had a while playing this sax for the last week
First off I love the tone and immediate response, soft to screaming and back ...love it , I'm guessing this Horn will appeal to someone who plays smooth Jazz, RnB ,Funk and Pop .Boy is it LOUD...
I have put my Drake CRCJA Jazz 7*(0.85). Yep Arron custom made the piece for me with just a little more Bite* I,m using D'Addario JS 2H and It sounds Fantastic, and a massive surprise to me as I haven't used this piece for over 2 years and never with these Reeds....The Phil tone rift was OK but not as I wanted...
Key action is very "Selmer" so it,s been fine from that point of veiw. and fast with it...
Palm keys are fine but a tad lower on Eb and D
The action felt very heavily sprung at first but seems to have played in some what and feels more to my liking ,although LH pinky table is still a little to heavily sprung....
Altissimo is so easy I'm going up and down with little or no thought about adjusting the way I blow or Embouchure changes I go through on my SA80 just to get there!

So now on to the build Quality well it doesn't feel as solid as my 1981 SA80 alto...so that's out of the way
I would say Key work is of a lighter quality Brass and having ran it round to my Tech ,we both agree this will have to be well looked after as it's pillar post to body construction....He's clearly not a fan and prefers sax's with Ribbed Construction

Now to the worrying part, Yes! Already the "Vintified" look is coming off in places and is going to be a long term problem....I would have liked some information on cleaning this Horn as I'm a wet player so the wipe down is already an issue...mild soapy water rang out on a J cloth is best at the mo ....But the Matt Black finish is Lifting off in places...this was not what I was expecting after less than 2 weeks !!! Theo Wanne If your out there Please tell me Why?

I will keep this horn as I have been told It's a limited run model....but not because of that, But it's for the Sound I get and the Immediate tone ....I love it .... And today I used the "Titanium" neck which opens up the sound from top to bottom.. with great Intonation ...
I wasn't to sure fist time I played it but after messing about getting MP and Reeds right ,I've grown to like it......a nice fat sound ..Bright but to not at the expense of being Shrill . I guess the MP you pick will make a big difference
It's good on both Necks but maybe a little stuffier sounding down the lower octave with the standard neck after playing the "Titanium" neck for an hour or so.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The vintified finish is just an accelerated aging of the brass not an actual coating like lacquer or plating. As you handle the horn it's going to wear off in places that are frequently touched relatively quickly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Keith I was thinking this might be the case, it comes of by just by rubbing with a Q tip around the areas that accumulate crap, i was a little shocked at how easy it comes away... it's a pity as I like the look as it is now.....

Regards the "Titanium" Power crook after more time spent playing I've gone back to the regular Crook as it gives a more even intonation across the two and a half octaves and beyond ...I checked my tuning on the tuner and played at an open mic on the "Titanium" to realise things were not to my liking, sound was more spread and open but at the expense of really good Intonation,and was my first opportunity to play live with the Narayan ...playing at home and not checking my tuner was maybe something I should of done a little sooner... I think I was flattered by that instant "big" sound
spent an hour playing standards to appreciate the difference....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts