Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a problem with my Wanne GAIA metal mouthpiece.....the reed/mpc seemed to clam up sometimes after about 5-10 minutes of playing.

I thought I was the only one, but happened upon this old thread in a theowanne.com forum.....if the reed is not moistened "equitably," the wood in the middle of the reed could expand more than the rest of the reed and mess up the connection at the table.

Hope the discussion helps others as well. I guess the problem actually may not be limited to Wanne mouthpieces but could happen with any mpc.

"Mouthpiece doesn't like reeds with uneven moisture content"
http://forum.theowanne.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=338

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have had this issue too, with another mouthpiece. None of the reeds would seal for me, and I would not be able to make the mouthpiece pop with the reed attached to it. When I would pick it up to play, I would get chirps, squeaks, and sometimes the mouthpiece would just shut down period, where I was not even able to blow through it or get a sound out of it. Then I got a reed geek and started working with the reeds a little. It helped with my problem somewhat, but not enough for me to have total confidence in the piece to want to play it on gigs any more. I have been using another mouthpiece as of late, and the problem went away completely. I had the piece looked at for issues, and it was reported back to me that nothing of any concern was found. If I don't get a piece to pass the pop test, I simply pass on it, as I am sure this happens for a reason, and that there is something behind it. If I was lucky enough to have a good reed, and it was thoroughly wet down completely to play, sometimes I would get a few minutes of play time on it. But if I put the cap on it on break and then went to pick it back up again, it would be back to not playing again. I am sure there is a table issue of the table not being completely flat or something of that nature, or it could be a combo of things. See if it passes the pop test. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've had this problem too, and may have discovered the problem: certain mpc/reed combinations may not work. I've been banging my head with a mpc that came back from a well-reputed refacer. It either dies after 10 minutes, or barely plays from the get go. Tried 2-3 Rico Royal reeds, same thing. I had already sent it back once and the table was flat, so I just figured its curve didn't match my embouchure.

Interestingly, I bought a new (old) box of Rico Royals. I use 2.5 Rico Royals, and got some old stock--the ones where they had the blue sticker on the reed and didn't come with plastic sleeves. Popped it on the mpc and bam--plays perfect, up and down, altissimo to low Bb. Doesn't die on me either. I'm still paranoid that it'll still die, but the contrast was night and day.

On Alto I tend to have this problem with DC Alexander Superials. Sound awesome for the first 10 minutes, then as it gets saturated the thing dies. I suppose I should follow the "immerse in 5 minutes" rule, but other reeds I've played (Java Green, Hemke) never had this issue. Maybe experimenting with different reeds might solve the problem.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
I guess the problem actually may not be limited to Wanne mouthpieces but could happen with any mpc.
Exactly. That's why I think it's unfair to single out Theo Wanne's name in the title of the thread.

And it could also be a reed quality problem.

By the way, I've had two metal Gaias and played them for more than a year as my main mpc and never had this sort of problem.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
To the OP-

I have had this EXACT problem with the Kali I obtained via trade here, and started a thread about it-

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ot-Accomodating-DIFFERENT-reeds-or-reed-AGING

Honestly, I'm still on the fence about the Kali. While fixing the reeds with the emory board-like resurfacer buys me more lifespan for the Kali-reed setup, I am rather put off that this is the first time I've been working with a setup where I've had to do this. I guess I could say it's like a on older British sports car-- a blast when it's working, but high maintenance. Other mouthpiece makes I play like Jody Jazz, Barone, Phil-Tone or RPC will readily play (and will KEEP playing on a gig) with pretty much any reed I use, if its strength is roughly appropriate to the tip.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
I don't own a Wanne mouthpiece but I play tested a Gaia soprano in a pass around.
I did not notice any problems with the reed sealing, it passed the "pop" test.

The rails on the piece were incredibly thin, I was expecting some chirping, but there wasn't any (this tells me that it was very well balanced). The window was also much longer than on other mpcs.

Do all Wanne mpcs have these thin rails and long windows?
I'm guessing that could be the problem. If the reed isn't perfectly flat, there's less contact area.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Exactly. That's why I think it's unfair to single out Theo Wanne's name in the title of the thread.
Own and often play an Ambika - have never had the issue described with the piece. Really dark, as advertised, but very well made- though a cap that came with the piece and a lig that didn't cost me eighty bucks to replace when the original gave out would be nice touches.

On the other hand I read this thread because while it may be true that other mouthpieces also suffer from this issue, not that many mouthpieces (other than lunatic priced "vintage collector" pieces) go for six or seven hundred dollars. At that price point any issues are potential news.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The rails on the piece were incredibly thin, I was expecting some chirping, but there wasn't any (this tells me that it was very well balanced). The window was also much longer than on other mpcs.

Do all Wanne mpcs have these thin rails and long windows?
I'm guessing that could be the problem. If the reed isn't perfectly flat, there's less contact area.
This is what I would have suggested as well realizing that a tenor piece will have a much longer facing and more potential for this problem than a soprano piece would. I occasionally have this issue with my Jody Jazz bari pieces- the reed doesn't seal perfectly and a small spot on the rail dries out. It doesn't squeak just becomes very resistant. Hard to fault the mouthpiece maker for this. I really like the way pieces with thin rails respond (Jody Jazz, Guardala, SR Tech, etc.) so I accept the occasional reed issue as part of the "cost of entry". However, I can see how this could be a real problem if it happened all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts