Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this is happened to any of you but I have noticed that what you pay for a Theo Wanne mouthpiece it seems to depreciate in value when you go to sell it even if its in like new condition you are lucky to get half the price you paid for it. Im surprised because these are really good and well known mouthpieces. The only thing I can think is there is too much choice and competition out there. Compare a Wanne mouthpiece to a vintage Lawton, Link or Guardala and these pieces seem to hold there value and even escalate in value. While the Wanne depriciates in value. Doesnt make sense.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Or they are overpriced to begin with?
I agree that they are generally very well made and playing pieces, but their new price is over the top AFAIC.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,934 Posts
I dont know if this is happened to any of you but I have noticed that what you pay for a Theo Wanne mouthpiece it seems to depreciate in value when you go to sell it even if its in like new condition you are lucky to get half the price you paid for it. Im surprised because these are really good and well known mouthpieces. The only thing I can think is there is too much choice and competition out there. Compare a Wanne mouthpiece to a vintage Lawton, Link or Guardala and these pieces seem to hold there value and even escalate in value. While the Wanne depriciates in value. Doesnt make sense.
The same holds true for any “vintage” vs depreciation-from-new argument - mouthpieces, cars, guitars... even saxophones.

Don’t want to eat depreciation? Don’t buy new.

Next?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Do TW's pieces really lose value more than others? Seems like most pieces lose roughly one third of their value when they sell used on the forum here. If Theo's pieces are declining in value more than that, I'd have to say I hadn't noticed.

Vintage pieces like a Guardala are a different story. There's a limited and declining number of them on the market, they're collectible, some people just have to have one and will pay anything, so the price goes up. That's not going to happen with mps that are still in production.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
757 Posts
There's a limited and declining number of them on the market, they're collectible, some people just have to have one and will pay anything, so the price goes up. That's not going to happen with mps that are still in production.
There's a lot of truth to this statement.

·
Registered
180 Posts
1) Theo Wanne Mouthpieces are very good and high quality........Well worth the price in my opinion. 2) Its very expensive to run and produce such pieces and stay in business 3) The price is pretty cheap if you decide that its a keeper. 4) Nearly everything for sale (saxwise) on Ebay takes a serious hit not to mention all the fees, shipping etc. 5) Between cheap, broke, bottom feeders......its just the way it is right now. Nobody likes to loose money but.........suck it up and don't let it bother you. It's simply the cost when searching for the desired mouthpiece! Hope you find your desired mouthpiece.

PS Remember a new modern mouthpiece from any company can not compare its resale value to a rare classic vintage sought after collectible mouthpiece.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, lately, I could not help but notice that even the very well-respected pieces produced by 10mfan seem to take a hit when sold on the used market.
Mouthpieces tend to be a very fickle market, because the pieces are so personal to a player.
I have bought a few expensive pieces over the years, but I keep going back to my SS Berg I've had since the mid 60's.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well, lately, I could not help but notice that even the very well-respected pieces produced by 10mfan seem to take a hit when sold on the used market.
Mouthpieces tend to be a very fickle market, because the pieces are so personal to a player.
I have bought a few expensive pieces over the years, but I keep going back to my SS Berg I've had since the mid 60's.
Well, they should "take a hit." I think it's reasonable to expect a price break of at least about 30% when you're buying used. To me, if you're only getting 10-20% percent off, you might as well buy new from a retailer, where you can get a trial period, you can return it, you have more recourse if there's a problem, etc, rather than buy from some random person the internet you hope will be trustworthy. And so many retailers offer sales that give you up to 15-20% off.

That's why I'm always surprised when I see somebody selling a mouthpiece they bought for $425, and they want $400 for it because it's "like new." A smart buyer's not going to buy used unless you're giving at least about 25% off. And it's usually going to need to be more like 30-40%.

That's not a knock on anybody's mouthpiece, that's just how the market works. Used items are worth less, even if they're in "like new" condition. Buyers expect much better deals from individual sellers who offer no guarantees, no returns, no financing, etc, than they do from music shops that offer all those things. Them's just the facts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,709 Posts
I noticed the piece the op was selling. It was a very good price. It probably went too low. However, it was not a super popular model and the size was a nine. When selling larger tips and in a hurry one will typically take a hit. Had that piece been an 8 i would have grabbed it but its size was just a bit too big for me.

Used is always 30 to 40 percent less. Speed, popularity and size determine your market and often shrink it. A higer price on ebay may have been achieved...even after fees. Its alway hard to know and ebay is a drag.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Phil hit it on the nose, there are a lot of factors that go in to pricing and tip size is a big one, pun slightly intended. It is supply and demand, which is also why you can't compare a vintage piece vs a modern one. If something is popular and there isn't many out there, people will pay more. If it isn't popular, well it doesn't really matter how many are out there but if there is a bunch out there then it makes it even worse.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I’ve found that Wanne pieces take a massive hit when trying to sell them, often more than 50%, regardless of condition. I think they’re priced too high in the current market and there are so many other great pieces around. They’re beautifully made and play beautifully, though.

Here in Australia, the majority of players seem to refuse to pay any more than around AU$350 for a piece.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
As a general statement for everyone making modern mouthpieces, there are so many factors involved.
Price, quantities sold, availability, wait lists, return policies, tip openings being another, and if you put something on ebay with a low starting price and no reserve---you may be in trouble with what a piece sells for. Some buyers won't be looking that week and you may take a big hit as the seller. The buyer will be happy. :)
Lots of quality mouthpieces out there, and the highest priced mouthpieces are put that high so dealers get a GREAT margin for themselves, which makes them want to stock more pieces, but in the end, a lot of the pieces at those prices just sit on the shelves.

I have noticed a couple different types of buyers. One will only buy directly from the maker because they know they are getting the piece as it is truly intended to be. The other type doesn't want to pay full price, so they wait around for a better deal on the used market. They will usually find that eventually if they are very patient, but may have to wait a while for their tip size and model to show up. One issue to think about, is that they don't know if the pieces have had any previous work done to them by the owner or previous owner(s). Its a bit of a crap shoot. If you buy one used that someone tried to do work on themselves and they messed the table or curve up and didn't say anything to the next owner, than its going to cost them a lot of money to send it out to be refaced properly including the shipping costs both ways.

Theo and many others out there make very good playing mouthpieces. The used market just is what it is. You can get pieces much cheaper and take the risk that they haven't been messed with, or buy from the maker.

Either way, good luck with your purchases and have fun playing!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts