Sax on the Web Forum banner

Theo Wanne Mouthpieces and their ligatures

21K views 114 replies 34 participants last post by  Spooner 
So I guess the answer is to get TW to give us all a discount and sell the mouthpieces for less and without a ligature and/or to include a Rovner ;-)
Since you already have the mpcs and seem to like them, the answer is really very simple. Just get a lig for each mpc that fits well (that's the important thing) and isn't too 'fiddly'. A simple 2-screw lig or any number of different ligs are on the market that will fit those mpcs.

Dont have a problem with the mouthpieces just the ligatures and use a Rovner with the HR Gaia.
I think you may have misread my post. I said I assumed you liked both mpcs, so the only issue is the ligature. If the Rovner fits fine on the HR mpc, then that issue is solved.

Now all you have to do is remove the lig you don't like from the metal mpc and get one that fits well. There are plenty of 'standard' ligs out there that will fit that metal mpc.

Just trying to make the point that if you have a reputation for making and actually do make great mouthpieces its a shame that a manufacturer cant put that little bit of effort into making the ligatures better as they obviously have great scope for improvement

Like the poster who said he sells ligatures made from rubber bands for $1000 each but they come with free $500 mouthpieces (ROTFL)

Its quite a succinct way of putting it imho you buy a super expensive rubbish ligature but get a decent mouthpiece with it
Got it. I understand your frustration and it's likely that the cost of that ligature is added to the cost of the mpc. However, you have the mpc, you like it, yet you dislike the ligature. So luckily, it's not a problem to replace the ligature with one that is less 'fiddly' and will fit fine.

There probably are plenty of players who do like the Wanne ligs, and in any case they are quality mpcs. So there's not much to be gained by complaining about it.

This is probably one reason a lot of the best mpcs are sold without ligatures. Then you have the option of choosing the lig you like. I actually thought Ron Cuelho (RIP) handled this in the best way with his hard rubber RPC mpcs. He'd include an inexpensive metal 2-screw lig that worked perfectly and added little or nothing to the price of the mpc. Anyone who wanted some other lig, for whatever reason, could go out a buy one.

Now, after just one day, I have a ligature that doesn't work and a long dreamed of mouthpiece I can't even play because none of my other ligatures fit on it.
Note to self: Don't believe the hype!
Lisa, this is a real shame and likely they will be able to furnish you with another lig or a way to fix it. However, don't get too bent out of shape; it's only a ligature and evidently not a very useful one (in your case). There are dozens of relatively inexpensive, excellent ligs that will fit that mpc and give you no trouble at all. Many of the best, top-quality mpcs come without ligatures, allowing the player to choose whatever lig they prefer. You have a top quality mpc and that's not dependent on the lig.

The hype you don't want to swallow is that you need some special super-duper fancy ligature. The fact is, a ligature has one purpose: to hold the reed firmly to the mpc. That's it. So you might as well get one that fits well (most important) and be done with it. In the meantime, if you want to try out the mpc, just use a rubber band or piece of painter's tape or anything that will hold the reed on and go ahead and play the mpc.

Sorry JL the point again has been skimmed over. The mouthpiece isn't available without the expensive lig that she paid for ,and like many of us, finds is useless. I'm really surprised that this simple fact hasn't sunk in.
No, actually I didn't miss that point. I even agreed that Lisa's experience was a shame. My point was simply that you can toss that lig and pick up a simple, inexpensive 2-screw lig (or any other lig of your choice that fits) and solve the problem. I don't know how much the included lig adds to the price, but I doubt it's a huge amount. I also think it would be a good idea to offer the mpc without a lig maybe with a slight discount.

I briefly had a TW "Magna" (I think that was what it was called; an earlier model) that I sold because I found it a bit too bright for my taste. But it played very well and was a quality mpc. I had no problem with the ligature, but if I had kept the mpc I might have replaced the lig with one I could slip on and off (maybe).

I guess I'm saying there's no reason to make a big deal out of a ligature, even while acknowledging the likely added cost. If you really don't want that lig, or to pay for it, or to replace it with another lig, and if they won't offer the mpc without it, then just don't buy it.

Update:
...at least I can finally play this thing now!
And I have to say, after playing on it all day, and frustrations with fiddly ligature screws aside, I think I have found my soul mate mouthpiece at last! It totally ROCKS!!!
Note to self: Sometimes hype is legit 😂
I'm glad you got this sorted out Lisa, and even better that you love the mpc.

But if you still have any problems with that ligature, keep in mind the mpc will play just as well with a different lig as long as it fits. I'm just saying the ligature is not what makes that a great mpc (which I'm sure you realize).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.