Sax on the Web Forum banner

Theo Wanne Mouthpieces and their ligatures

21K views 114 replies 34 participants last post by  Spooner 
I just bought a Durga 4 metal 8* and had saved up for a year to get it so was super excited for it to arrive not having “clicked with any of my other mouthpieces yet.
It was bit of an adjustment to an 8 from the David Zagar Cool School I’d been playing on but I definitely prefer a smaller mouthpiece after finding the Jody Jazz HR always seeming “flat” and just too big in my mouth. (I have residual effects of Bell’s Palsy that affected the use of some of my facial muscles) so I thought I’d see if it worked better moving the ligature forward one notch. Took out the trusty included hex screwdriver and loosened the screws and that’s when it all went badly!
the ligature just would not fit back on the mouthpiece at all!! I unscrewed the screws all the way, and tried several times to re-attach the ligature to another position without success. I ended up going back to the middle position it had come in, screwed the screws in but it appears to have somehow stretched the width of the ligature so now it just falls right off!
I am beyond belief disappointed, especially as it cost me way more than I could really justify but I’d heard they were the bees knees. Now, after just one day, I have a ligature that doesn’t work and a long dreamed of mouthpiece I can’t even play because none of my other ligatures fit on it.
I am beyond disappointed. I’ve written to them to let them know what happened. I’m going to make a YouTube video to show what happened as I’m sure mine can’t be an isolated case. At the price these mouthpieces are, I expect that the included ligature works the way it’s supposed to. If they are not meant to be adjusted, then maybe don’t include a screwdriver and instructions inside the box telling you the ligature can be moved up or down to change the tone from “more spread” to “more focussed”?
I seriously just cried when it all fell apart in my hands.
Note to self: Don’t believe the hype!

Update:
The guys at Theo Wanne got back to me straight away with assurances that they’d sort it out and replace it if need be (kudos to them for great customer service)
Was telling a friend about how frustrated I was by it and he says “Show me” so I did and he fiddled around with it and somehow managed to re-attach it making me feel like a total idiot! I have no idea what he did that I hadn’t done as the lig had ended up stretched a lot wider from my attempts to re-insert the tiny hex screws than it had when I first took it off, and are now screwed almost all the way into the holes to hold it in place, but at least I can finally play this thing now!
And I have to say, after playing on it all day, and frustrations with fiddly ligature screws aside, I think I have found my soul mate mouthpiece at last! It totally ROCKS!!!
Note to self: Sometimes hype is legit 😂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.