Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the abair coming to try but now wondering if I should have sent a shiva as well to try.
Can’t decide if I picked the right one. What are the differences you have seen?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I have not played the Shiva but the Mindi Abair is one hell of an alto MPC. The Elements Series "Fire" was a bit of a disappointment, I use it as an ear ring now until I find a better use for it..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
For me (and your experience may differ) I tend to sound bright and nasel on metal pieces. Fire, Durga, Dukoff, Yanigasawa,JJ DV so I picked up and put down the Abair piece quickly. It gave me a bright grating tone that was centered but had no spread. So unless I could bounce it off something I'd never hear myself on stage with the little monitors I get now. Also I'd always have to "bring it back from being too bright" The Shiva was edgy but had more mids in the tone so it recorded better for me and I could hear myself in a loud environment. But as I said my Earnie Northway was still better for me than the Shiva so I sent it back. I had back issues with the Northway over time and I 've switched to a Showboat. But comparing the Shiva and Abair pieces I think the Shiva had more depth to the tone and was less edgy, more spread in the sound K

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, i tried the Abair in a 6 and 7 and instantly knew they were not for me.
They certainly scream, that is for sure, everyone in the house complained instantly saying 'omg you are so loud', which, was the intent and is what is promised.
I just found there was no bottom, no soul, a bit of a one trick pony for me, and hard to control.
Certainly worth the $8 WWBW return policy to experiment and know.
Now rethinking what I want alto to be and not going to try the Shiva right now, unless i stumble across one or another 20% off sale comes along on WWBW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts