Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a Theo Wanne Kali 7*, which turned out to be a rather pleasant acquaintance, although it seems Theo Wanne dropped that particular model some time after the Durga (or Durga 2?) was released. In the marketing material I could find online, it was said to produce a tone that was similar to the Guardala MB II, which is a mpc I have never tried. Could someone who have played both models maybe comment on whether this is true in real life?

/Saxray

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I've played both and still own a LT MBII but it's hard to compare them since the MBII's I've played (Laser Trimmed versions) had tip openings above .115. My recollection of the Kali I played was that it was a bit darker than I expected it to be given the baffle but I can't remember what the tip opening was since it was so long ago. I think it was larger than a 7* but I'm not sure. The designs are similar but the differences in throat and chamber size could make them play much differently. Likewise comparing a Kali with a tip of .105 to an MBII at .118 won't tell you much either. Maybe someone who has played both in similar tip openings can post a more useful comparison??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input! I found that the Kali had a very nice balance between brightness and depth and also very good projection. At the moment I´m playing a 10mfan The Boss metal 8*, which I absolutely love but think may be just a little too open for me (trade for an 8, anyone?). I have been considering a MB II as an interesting alternative for a while, but they are difficult to find any in stores here in Sweden. Now I´m thinking I might go for the Kali instead.

/Saxray

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
In my experience, the Kali plays with a good deal more warmth than the MBII. I think the Kali was designed to play more like the MBI. The baffle in the Kali is a bit shorter than the MBII. Also I'm pretty sure that the chamber in the Kali is a good bit larger than the MBII.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you´re right. When reading more carefully, the Theo Wanne leaflet actually only says "The KALI has a high baffle similar to a Gaurdala Brecker I or II model tenor" (including spelling mistake) and the other sources I have seen only say something about sounding like a Guardala Brecker mpc. So I guess a MB II would be even brighter?

/Saxray

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my experience, the Kali plays with a good deal more warmth than the MBII. I think the Kali was designed to play more like the MBI. The baffle in the Kali is a bit shorter than the MBII. Also I'm pretty sure that the chamber in the Kali is a good bit larger than the MBII.
Short update: In the end I went for the Kali. Then I happened to stumble over a second hand MB II (LT by PMS) locally, so I bought that too. I know, it´s not the gear and so on, but the prize was very reasonable so I couldn´t resist.

Anyway, after a few days of playing both pieces, I have come to the same conclusion as Bozman: the Kali is a good deal warmer and the MBII almost feels harsh in comparison, especially in the lower octave. At the same time it is great fun to play, and it really plays very loud and with a projection like a blow torch when needed. I probably won´t make it my number one mpc but I´m in no rush to get rid of it either, so I will probably keep it until something more interesting turns up.

/Saxray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts