Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never played Wanne pieces and am seeking a soprano piece that might tame the brightness of my Antigua one piece soprano especially in the upper registers.

It was recommended to be that Gaia would be a good choice.

Can any one tell me about Gaia or other choices.

Currently playing a nicely refaced Otto Link STM 6*

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
All the TW pieces I have tried are very bright, a friend of mine who's a real pro player has uses a #8 facing Gaia and it is almost annoyingly bright but that's what he loves - he also plays a lot of altissimo ... Not trying to steer you away but look at the Morganmouthpieces, expecially if you want to take off a git of that edge. It might save you a bunch of money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
Theo and I work together on pieces but we do have different sound concepts. Most of his pieces are brighter than what I make. How little edge are you seeking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use a #7 on my curved soprano and don’t find it bright, it has a rich sound and I went with it to counteract the tinny top register.I do have a bronze yani though which IMO have a darker sound anyway.But I love the Gaia, have one on my alto too.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought one and I guess I will find out. Thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
I just bought one and I guess I will find out. Thanks
I didn't see this post before you bought the mouthpiece from me (you could have asked me directly).

FWIW, I think I'm playing on the same soprano you are (Antigua SS3282), and I didn't find the mouthpiece to be terribly bright on this horn. It's a large-chambered mouthpiece with a fairly low baffle, so it shouldn't be too bright.
Of course a lot depends on the reeds that you pair it with.

As with most TW pieces, it's very free-blowing, which means that you can use it with harder reeds than you would normally use on a similar tip opening.
I tended to use either Jazz Select 3H or V16 3 reeds with it, which kept the tone fairly rich and dark. With softer reeds it might sound brighter.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
I didn't see this post before you bought the mouthpiece from me (you could have asked me directly).

FWIW, I think I'm playing on the same soprano you are (Antigua SS3282), and I didn't find the mouthpiece to be terribly bright on this horn. It's a large-chambered mouthpiece with a fairly low baffle, so it shouldn't be too bright.

As with most TW pieces, it's very free-blowing, which means that you can use it with harder reeds than you would normally use on a similar tip opening.
I tended to use either Jazz Select 3H or V16 3 reeds with it, which kept the tone fairly rich and dark. With softer reeds it might sound brighter.
That's a good assessment. I use 3 1/2 Java reeds on mine which are a bit brighter I think.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I use Hemke 2 1/2 reeds on mine which are on the dark side, but I find the Gaia to be noticeably brighter than my Lamberson Fma7 with the same reeds.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm so sorry and didn't mean to offend. :).

All the research I have done here and elsewhere indicate at least a #3. I also was given advice to use Legere European Cut Clarinet reeds. I use Legere Studio Cut on my Tenor and its perfect for me.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Theo and I work together on pieces but we do have different sound concepts. Most of his pieces are brighter than what I make. How little edge are you seeking?
Thanks for chiming in. I have performed on a refaced Link STM with a .070 facing since I bought my Antigua 4 years ago and its just so easy to play but its buzzy in the upper registers.

I have also been experimenting with a copy of Babbit style HR with a .061 tip and its a nice warm piece but the upper register above D3 is somewhat shrill.

I want warm and the ability to play softly without sacrifing tone.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the piece today. I have never played a Wanne piece so did not know what to expect. I test played it with a Legere Signature 2.50 and a rico lig supplied and its fantastic. The tone is even and the everything is fatter sounding and just a hint of buzz even in the low notes which are warm. It might be me but the large chamber seems to make vibrato and tonguing easier and even at a soprano tip size 8 it plays more like a 6.

I can not wait to get in to this piece.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I got the piece today. I have never played a Wanne piece so did not know what to expect. I test played it with a Legere Signature 2.50 and a rico lig supplied and its fantastic. The tone is even and the everything is fatter sounding and just a hint of buzz even in the low notes which are warm. It might be me but the large chamber seems to make vibrato and tonguing easier and even at a soprano tip size 8 it plays more like a 6.

I can not wait to get in to this piece.
Very nice! I noticed that with the Legere reeds everything sounds a bit warmer! Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All the TW pieces I have tried are very bright, a friend of mine who's a real pro player has uses a #8 facing Gaia and it is almost annoyingly bright but that's what he loves - he also plays a lot of altissimo ... Not trying to steer you away but look at the Morganmouthpieces, expecially if you want to take off a git of that edge. It might save you a bunch of money.
I appreciate your answer but I am not getting a bright tone at all with the Gaia. It might change after I get an enlightened lig but right now it has made this Antigua perform better than it ever has, and in a way I really did not seem possible.

Because of that I am not going to worry about purchasing a Yani 901 because the Gaia/Antigua combination might be 99% the same as a the 901 I played recently, and at $2000 difference (I paid $400 6 years ago) it now exceeds my requirements.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts