Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Great review, Fabrizio, thank you, it made me love my Gaia even more!! So which one did you prefer, the Gaia or the Ambika?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jlima.
They both have a similar "vintage Otto link" sound and feeling.
The gaia is a bit more modern and bright compared to the ambika ,and a little more focused.
I personally prefer a big spread tone and the ambika allows me to put a more air into the horn than the gaia in order to achieve the tone I want.
I also think that the lower the baffle the more you can shape the sound, and the ambika has almost no baffle at all!
It's not true that the gaia is more projective and louder , I'd say that the volume is easiest to achieve , but if you push hard into the ambika it roars a la texas tenor huge timbre.
Maybe the gaia is a little more versatile , but changing reeds and pressure plates is a good way to make tha ambika brighter.
In my opinion the ambika has a more sound of its own and has more personality that the gaia.
No doubt they're both fabulous mouthpieces , their design of huge window and chamber makes them very unique in construction geometries.
I'll also try a gaia soprano ... I'll let you know my impressions

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Thank you for the reply. You do sound better on the Ambika, in my opinion, the sound is deeper, richer and more personalized. But I don't have the great control that you have over sound production, so the Gaia is easier for me. If I progress enough, however, I may well give the Ambika a try.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my experience finding the right reed brand/mouthpiece matching is crucial to make it sings at its best!
I achieved the best results with giuliani and rigotti reeds #3 , I like francois louis reeds too , but they're bit brighter in the upper register.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts